Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Verse of the Day 9/21

 John 15:16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide; so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.   17 This I command you, to love one another.  RSV

 

Yesterday we considered how George Muller brought glory to God in being dependent on Him in prayer regarding the resources needed to fund, operate, and maintain the orphanage. 

 

David Platt in his book "Radical" writes, "God delights in using ordinary Christians who come to the end of themselves and choose to trust in his extraordinary provision.  He stands ready to allocate His power to all who are radically dependent on Him and radically devoted to making much of Him."    

 

This chapter in John is all about abiding, Platt's statement sums up abiding in concisely in a few powerful words, "being radically dependent on Him and radically devoted to making much of Him".  The one who lives their life this way, will bear fruit, fruit that will last, and will fulfil the command in verse 17 to love others.

 

Platt continues that this "whatever you ask in my name" "is not a genie-in-bottle approach to God that assumes he is ready to grant our every wish.  But it is a rock solid promise that the resources of heaven are ready and waiting for the people of God who desire to make much of him in this world.  For the people of God who long to see his power at work and who live to see his purposes accomplisthed, he will give us absolutely everything we need according to his presence alive in us."

 

What is it that you are seeking from God today?  Does it come from a heart that is "radically dependent on Him and radically devoted to making much of Him."  If so, be prepared to be amazed as George Muller and those giants of the faith that we find in the Bible and in history.  Perhaps He has chosen and appointed you for just such a purpose.

 

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com
John 15:9-17
9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you; abide in my love.
10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.
11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
12 "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.
13 Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
14 You are my friends if you do what I command you.
15 No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.
16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide; so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.
17 This I command you, to love one another.   RSV

No comments: