Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Verse of the Day 11/15

James 1:17  (ESV) 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
 
Today's verse comes from the book of James which some refer to as the "Proverbs" of the New Testament.  The verse was today's verse from Moody's "Today in the Word" devotional.  The theme of heavenly light was present in three different readings in my devotions this morning.  When something like that happens it take it to mean something.  This verse reminds us that every "perfect gift" comes from above.  What are the perfect gifts that have been given to you?  As you think and pray about it the answers may surprise you.  Sometimes they come out of the trials and struggles in our lives.
 
Today's New Testament reading in Luke chapter 1 contained the following verses:
 
Luke 1:78-79  (ESV) 78because of the tender mercy of our God,
   whereby the sunrise shall visit us from on high
79to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death,
   to guide our feet into the way of peace."
 
Out of His tender mercy, God sent His Son as the perfect gift to give light to those who had been in darkness.  His Word and His Spirit will guide us through the shadows into the light and into the way of peace.
 
The next passage was in my daily reading in Psalms which brought me to Psalm 43 and verses 3-4.
3 Send out your light and your truth;
   let them lead me;
let them bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling!
4Then I will go to the altar of God,
   to God my exceeding joy,
and I will praise you with the lyre,
   O God, my God.  ESV
 
I'll close with the words of an old familiar hymn, "Great is Thy Faithfulness" which acknowledges James words in verse 17 that there is no shadow of turning with God.  If you have received God's perfect gift, how can you not sing praise to Him in words or with an instrument - Great is Thy Faithfulness.
 
"Great is Thy faithfulness," O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.
 
"Great is Thy faithfulness!" "Great is Thy faithfulness!"
  Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
    "Great is Thy faithfulness," Lord, unto me!


In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
 
James 1:16-18 English Standard Version (ESV)

 16Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. 18 Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

No comments: