Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Verse of the Day 11/16

Psalm 16:7-8 New Living Translation (NLT)  7 I will bless the Lord who guides me;
      even at night my heart instructs me.
 8 I know the Lord is always with me.
      I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me
 
After I sent yesterday's devotional which ended with the first stanza of "Great is Thy Faithfulness" I couldn't get the song out of my mind.  The other verses kept flowing.  Read the third stanza and you can see why:
 
Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide,
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine with ten thousand beside.
 
Great is Thy faithfulness.
 
Commenting on Psalm 16, David Jeremiah points out that David's agenda in the psalm was that David had reviewed who God is, he then rehearsed what God does and finally he rejoiced in what God had revealed that He was going to do.
 
As we spend time in God's Word, isn't that what it does to us.  We get a better understanding of Who God is, we learn more of what He does and how He accomplishes His purposes, and He reveals to us what He is going to do and how we are to be a part of that process.
 
James 1:25 Amplified Bible (AMP)  25But he who looks carefully into the faultless law, the [law] of liberty, and is faithful to it and perseveres in looking into it, being not a heedless listener who forgets but an active doer [who obeys], he shall be blessed in his doing (his life of obedience).

Those who seek the Lord in His Word and apply what they learn and lean on Him for understanding will find the "strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow", being able to count their blessings.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 16:5-11

New Living Translation (NLT)

 5 Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing.
      You guard all that is mine.
 6 The land you have given me is a pleasant land.
      What a wonderful inheritance!

 7 I will bless the Lord who guides me;
      even at night my heart instructs me.
 8 I know the Lord is always with me.
      I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.

 9 No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice.
      My body rests in safety.
 10 For you will not leave my soul among the dead
      or allow your holy one to rot in the grave.
 11 You will show me the way of life,
      granting me the joy of your presence
      and the pleasures of living with you forever.

No comments: