Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Verse of the Day 11/22

Verse of the Day 11/22
 
Psalm 73:25-26 (ESV) 25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
   And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
   but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
 
This month's theme in "Crossings", our high school youth group, has been that we are a part of a larger story than our own.  As we learn to trust, lean on and depend on His Word our will becomes more aligned with His and we will play a more significant role in the "larger story".
 
The psalmist here realizes that God is the only one that can fill the need, the hole in his heart.  It is where he can find strength for the day and hope for the future, for now and eternity.
 
John Piper writes, "The supreme goal of God in history from beginning to end is the manifestation of his great glory. Accordingly our duty is to bring our thoughts, affections, and actions into line with this goal. It should become our own goal. To join God in this goal is called glorifying God. The way we glorify God is first to delight in his glory more than in anything else and be grateful for it. Then as a natural result of this joy in God we experience freedom from selfishness and are moved to seek the good of others. Thus love becomes the chief means by which we join God in the open display of his glory, and accomplish his goal in history." http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/articles/the-glory-of-god-as-the-goal-of-history
 
Is God the strength of your heart, your portion, your refuge?  If so, what are you doing to bring your thoughts, affections and actions into line with this goal that He be glorified in your life?
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 73:21-28

English Standard Version (ESV)

21When my soul was embittered,
   when I was pricked in heart,
22I was brutish and ignorant;
   I was like a beast toward you.

 23Nevertheless, I am continually with you;
   you hold my right hand.
24You guide me with your counsel,
   and afterward you will receive me to glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
   And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
   but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

 27For behold, those who are far from you shall perish;
   you put an end to everyone who is unfaithful to you.
28But for me it is good to be near God;
   I have made the Lord GOD my refuge,
   that I may tell of all your works.

No comments: