Monday, September 17, 2012

Verse of the Day 9/16

1 Kings 19:9 He entered a cave there and spent the night.  Then the word of the Lord came to him, and He said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"
 
I've read through this passage in 1Kings 19 many, many times over the years but had never really stopped and considered today's verse and its question in detail before.
 
Elijah had just come through one of the greatest victories and visible demonstrations of the power of God in His victory vs. the prophets of Baal and yet where do we find Elijah.  Hiding in a cave.  God literally call him out.  First, to teach him a needed lesson, and secondly to reveal that things are not what they seem to be.  God gives a personal demonstration of His power in the whirlwind and in an earthquake but the real message came in a gentle whisper, a "still small voice" (v13).
 
God was calling Elijah out.  To make him alive again, in the power that only He can provide.
 
Last night our church hosted a concert given by Matt Maher.  It was a great concert with powerful words to motivate Christians.  I'll share some of the words of his song "I'm Alive Again".
 
I woke up in darkness
surrounded by silence
oh where, where have I gone?
I woke to reality
losing its grip on me
oh where, where have I gone?
 
Cause I can see the light,
before I see the sunrise
 
You called and you shouted
broke through my deafness
now I'm breathing in
and breathing out
I'm alive again!
 
You shattered my darkness
washed away my blindness
now I'm breathing in
and breathing out
I'm alive again!
 
Perhaps you're in a situation where you've withdrawn, pulled back, hid yourself in a cave as it were.  Perhaps God is asking you "what are you doing here" and calling you to make you "alive again".  Maybe it is a quiet whisper that is needed to break you out of "deafnesss".
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
1 Kings 19:8-10  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
8 So he got up, ate, and drank. Then on the strength from that food, he walked 40 days and 40 nights to Horeb, the mountain of God. 9 He entered a cave there and spent the night.
 
Elijah's Encounter with the Lord
 
Then the word of the Lord came to him, and He said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"
 
10 He replied, "I have been very zealous for the Lord God of Hosts, but the Israelites have abandoned Your covenant, torn down Your altars, and killed Your prophets with the sword. I alone am left, and they are looking for me to take my life."

No comments: