Sunday, January 6, 2013

Verse of the Day 1/6

 
Isaiah 45:22 "Turn to me and be saved,
    all the ends of the earth!
    For I am God, and there is no other.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Our Pastor Bob's new series is titled "All In" and it is about our devotion to God and what it means, what it costs to follow Christ.
 
On this day in 1850 Charles Spurgeon heard this verse in a message and it struck him like a thunderbolt.  He did turn to Christ at that time, gave his life to Him and followed him.  Six years later, he himself preached a message on this same date telling of the story.  His life is an example of what it is like to be a Christ follower.  Not only that, it is an example of what God can do with a life that is given over to him.
 
At the end of our service today a benediction was given for the Lord to "bless and keep us".
 
In a devotional I read this morning I read the following quote from Susannah Spurgeon in 1898, "having saved us--He keeps us. "We are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation." Comparatively few Christians put God's keeping power fully to the test. If we would trust Him for the keeping, as we do for the saving--our lives would be far holier and happier than they are. "I will keep it every moment," is one of those grandly unlimited promises which most of us are afraid of; and we store them away in the background because we dare not believe them, and bring them out into the light of our daily practice. O foolish and unbelieving hearts, how much of soul-delighting comfort do we thus miss!"
 
May we turn our hearts to Him today and count on Him to bless and keep us, and may we be happier and holier as we serve Him.
 
Numbers 6:24-26  "The Lord bless you
    and keep you;
25 the Lord make his face shine on you
    and be gracious to you;
26 the Lord turn his face toward you
    and give you peace."'  New International Version (NIV)
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Isaiah 45:21-23  New Living Translation (NLT)
21 Consult together, argue your case.
    Get together and decide what to say.
Who made these things known so long ago?
    What idol ever told you they would happen?
Was it not I, the Lord?
    For there is no other God but me,
a righteous God and Savior.
    There is none but me.
22 Let all the world look to me for salvation!
    For I am God; there is no other.

23 I have sworn by my own name;
    I have spoken the truth,
    and I will never go back on my word:
Every knee will bend to me,
    and every tongue will confess allegiance to me."

No comments: