Saturday, June 1, 2013

Verse of the Day 6/1

 
Galatians 2:21  I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
We may not realize how often we use a magnifying glass.  Our glasses that we use in every day life use magnification.  You can also think of microscopes that sometimes give spectacular views of things not seen by the naked eye.  In my work I often use a "pick glass" which is used to determine thread counts and construction of fabrics.
 
In reading today's verse we should realize that in reality we cannot nullify the grace of God, but as Christians our lives should magnify the grace of God.  We ended yesterday's devotional with the words "O magnify the precious name of Jesus, praise His name!".  In reading the preceding verse we read (Gal. 2:20) that if we are in Christ, He is living in us and it will show in our lives to do exactly that.
 
In "Future Grace" John Piper writes , "As we ponder how to live the Christian life, the uppermost thought should be: How can I magnify rather than nullify the grace of God?....  Why does (Paul's) his life not nullify the grace of God?  Because he lives by faith in the Son of God.  Faith calls attention to grace and magnifies it, rather than nullifying it." 
 
Do you "ponder" how to life your life, do you, do I, think of how we can magnify the grace of God in our lives?  May we, through our faith put into words and actions, be able to sing:
 
Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er;
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Galatians 2:20-21

English Standard Version (ESV)

20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness[a] were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.

No comments: