Monday, June 10, 2013

Verse of the Day 6/10

 
Isaiah 43:1-2 But now thus says the Lord,
he who created you, O Jacob,
    he who formed you, O Israel:
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
    I have called you by name, you are mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
    and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
    and the flame shall not consume you.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Last week I quoted a verse that began with "therefore" and I said that I had heard that when we see that we need to go back and see "what it is there for".  Today's verse starts out in similar fashion "but God".  It speaks of a change, of an about face.  The nation, because of sin and rejection of God's word and will deserved one thing but in God's mercy and grace He offered another thing.  We use the term "no if's, ands or buts" when we speak of a certainty.  Thankfully, as children of God there is a "but" that immediately follows the end of Isaiah 42.
 
Many who are in the midst of trials or perhaps staring one in the face based on recent developments, can cling to these promises of God "I have redeemed you, called you by name, you are mine".  There may be times in our lives when the billows roll, wave after wave with no end in sight.  It is for these times that God says that the waters "shall not overwhelm you" nor the flames of the affliction "consume you".
 
If you are facing the waters or the fire, call on Jesus to help you now. I was reminded of the words to the Matt Maher song, "Heaven Help Me Now". 
 
I don't wanna live tomorrow, for another rainy day.
I don't wanna say I'm  sorry,
If I can't avoid the pain.
I don't wanna gain the whole world, just to turn and lose it all.
'Cause when it's time to jump, I don't wanna guess,
If you're gonna help break the fall. 

If there's any hope around 
Chorus 
Heaven, Help Me Now 
Heaven, Help Me Now 
I lift you up and I lay me down 
Heaven, Help Me Now 

Heaven, Help Me Now (I believe, I believe, I believe)
I Believe You Can Help Me Now (I believe, I believe, I believe) 
 
Lord God of heaven help us now.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Isaiah 43:1-2

Amplified Bible (AMP)

43 But now [in spite of past judgments for Israel's sins], thus says the Lord, He Who created you, O Jacob, and He Who formed you, O Israel: Fear not, for I have redeemed you [ransomed you by paying a price instead of leaving you captives]; I have called you by your name; you are Mine.

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned or scorched, nor will the flame kindle upon you.

No comments: