Friday, June 7, 2013

Verse of the Day 6/7

 
 Revelation 3:11   I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown.   English Standard Version (ESV)
 

Yesterday was our 32nd anniversary and I took some ribbing for referencing D-Day and not our marriage.  Even though it wasn't mentioned our love and what we have together is something that I treasure and will hold fast, cling to all the days of our lives.

 

Today's verse points out that it should be the same with our personal faith and for the church.  We are called and challenged to hold on to, cling to,and thank God for what we have in Christ, our salvation, with what The Message (below) refers to as "passionate patience".  It is something that is for the here and now but that will also carry over and last for eternity.

  

Greg Laurie writes, "The crown is a symbol of rewards that are awaiting Christians. To lose your crown means to lose your reward. The Bible speaks of a crown that God gives for our faithfulness to Him (see Revelation 3:11). First Thessalonians 2:19 mentions a crown of rejoicing, which would appear to be a crown for winning souls. Then, in 2 Timothy 4:8, there is a crown of righteousness. James 1:12 speaks of a crown of life for enduring temptation and persevering under trial." ...These are the rewards God will give to each of us. But how sad it will be for those who stand before Him on that day and have nothing to show for the life that was given to them."

 

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at  www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

 

Revelation 3:10-12

The Message (MSG)

10 "Because you kept my Word in passionate patience, I'll keep you safe in the time of testing that will be here soon, and all over the earth, every man, woman, and child put to the test.

11 "I'm on my way; I'll be there soon. Keep a tight grip on what you have so no one distracts you and steals your crown.

12 "I'll make each conqueror a pillar in the sanctuary of my God, a permanent position of honor. Then I'll write names on you, the pillars: the Name of my God, the Name of God's City—the new Jerusalem coming down out of Heaven—and my new Name.

No comments: