Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Verse of the Day 6/18

 
1 Thessalonians 5:14-15  And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. 15 See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
I've had a 1977 Corvette for many years.  For the last several years I didn't drive it much because, frankly, it had a sick engine, it was in need of repair or replacement.  A few months ago, largely due to the help of a friend, we gave it a new engine, a heart transplant if you will.  Immediately, when the engine was placed in and the key was turned to start it up, you could hear the difference.  It sounded great, sounded strong, even when idling.  But I didn't give it a new engine to idle well, it was given a new engine to be driven, for the car to be able to run and drive like a Corvette should.
 
When I read these verses I thought of my Corvette and I thought of my heart and that of many that sit our congregations on Sunday's.  How many, (hopefully most), of us have received "new hearts" from Christ?  The bigger question for us is how many of us are idling?  We have the power within us, a strong motor, a strong heart for God, but we need to put it into gear for Christ.  It needs to be driven towards love and good works for the glory of Christ.  The verse calls us to "admonish" or warn others about the dangers of being and staying idle.
 
I must admit that I now enjoy driving my Corvette again.  Each time I drive it may it remind me that like the Corvette, I've been given a new heart, a new lease on life, not just to sit and idle, but to run and finish the race for the upward call of Christ.  Sometimes its doubts and fears that keep us idle.  Let us not remain there but aim for something higher.
    • My heart has no desire to stay
      Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
      Though some may dwell where those abound,
      My prayer, my aim, is higher ground.

    • Lord, lift me up and let me stand,
      By faith, on Heaven's tableland,
      A higher plane than I have found;
      Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

1 Thessalonians 5:13-15

The Message (MSG)

The Way He Wants You to Live

12-13 And now, friends, we ask you to honor those leaders who work so hard for you, who have been given the responsibility of urging and guiding you along in your obedience. Overwhelm them with appreciation and love!

13-15 Get along among yourselves, each of you doing your part. Our counsel is that you warn the freeloaders to get a move on. Gently encourage the stragglers, and reach out for the exhausted, pulling them to their feet. Be patient with each person, attentive to individual needs. And be careful that when you get on each other's nerves you don't snap at each other. Look for the best in each other, and always do your best to bring it out.

No comments: