Friday, May 23, 2014

Verse of the Day 5/23

 

Philippians 4:13   I can do all things through him who strengthens me.  English Standard Version (ESV)

Yesterday we considered how we can be as filled with the Spirit as we want to be, as we allow ourselves to be.
 
When you read the first four verses of today's verse, they may be said by many people in today's society.  The secular society is concerned most with "me, myself and I" and many "successful" people have that attitude that "I can do all things".  They have that opinion of themselves and it may serve them well for a time, for a season, but not for a lifetime much less an eternity.
 
The Christian can say those same things in faith and in hope, because it is not in an of themselves it is in God who created all that there is.  Jesus at the beginning of the beatitudes stated "blessed are the meek".  The world looks at meekness as weakness.  But the one who trusts
in Christ for all things has what true meekness is, the power of God working in him.
 
Once again, Tozer writes, "The meek man is not a human mouse afflicted with a sense of his own inferiority.  Rather he may be in his own moral life as bold as a lion and as strong as Samson; but he has stopped being fooled about himself.  He has accepted God's estimate of his own life.  He knows the is as weak and helpless as God declared him to be, but paradoxically, he knows that at the very same time he is in the sight of God of more importance than the angels."
 
What is your attitude against the things you face today?  The toddlers attitude of "I do myself" or will you trust in Christ to provide what you need to do and make it through (The Message) face the all things that you may face today?
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com
 

Philippians 4:10-14

The Message (MSG)

Content Whatever the Circumstances

10-14 I'm glad in God, far happier than you would ever guess—happy that you're again showing such strong concern for me. Not that you ever quit praying and thinking about me. You just had no chance to show it. Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. I don't mean that your help didn't mean a lot to me—it did. It was a beautiful thing that you came alongside me in my troubles.
 

No comments: