Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Verse of the Day 5/6

 
Psalm 40:1-2  I waited patiently and expectantly for the Lord; and He inclined to me and heard my cry. 
He drew me up out of a horrible pit [a pit of tumult and of destruction], out of the miry clay (froth and slime), and set my feet upon a rock, steadying my steps and establishing my goings.  Amplified Bible (AMP)
 
In this day and age there are plenty of things that can bring on anxiety, pressures in the workplace, a sudden health issue, or perhaps a pending day in court.  This anxiety, if left unchecked, can lead to despair and if it persists can land you in the pit of despondency with a desire to just give up.
 
Today's verses ring out to those who find themselves in that position.  We are to call upon and wait patiently and expectantly for the Lord.  I love the words in the ESV, "He inclined to me" and heard my cry.  It is the picture of God bending down, stooping to our level, listening intently, looking us in the eye..  What would a father do next to a trembling child?  He would lift him up out of the situation.
 
Whatever anxieties you face today, may you give them over to God, as The Message says in verse 3, abandon yourself to God, and may He lift you out of the pit and put a song in your heart.  Perhaps a song like the  following:"Love Lifted Me".
 
  1. I was sinking deep in sin, far from the peaceful shore,
    Very deeply stained within, sinking to rise no more,
    But the Master of the sea heard my despairing cry,
    From the waters lifted me, now safe am I.
  2. Souls in danger, look above, Jesus completely saves,
    He will lift you by His love, out of the angry waves.
    He's the Master of the sea, billows His will obey,
    He your Savior wants to be, be saved today.
    • Refrain:
      Love lifted me!
      Love lifted me!
      When nothing else could help,
      Love lifted me!
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 40:1-3

The Message (MSG)

A David Psalm

40 1-3 I waited and waited and waited for God.
    At last he looked; finally he listened.
He lifted me out of the ditch,
    pulled me from deep mud.
He stood me up on a solid rock
    to make sure I wouldn't slip.
He taught me how to sing the latest God-song,
    a praise-song to our God.
More and more people are seeing this:
    they enter the mystery,
    abandoning themselves to God.

No comments: