Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Verse of the Day 5/27


Verse of the Day 5/27
John 13:34-35 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. 35 By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." English Standard Version (ESV)

We've recently considered what it means to be filled with the Spirit, how we can be filled as we want to be. Today's verses are an important aspect of being filled with the Spirit, it involves having love for one another.
 
I read the following quote from Ray Ortland's blog recently. It was one of those that catches you off guard. "Sanctify one another, humble one another, scrutinize one another, pressure one another, embarrass one another, corner one another, interrupt one another, defeat one another, sacrifice one another, shame one another, judge one another, run one another's lives, confess one another's sins, intensify one another's sufferings, point out one another's failings . . . "
 
When you first read this you may not think too much about the first two "one another's". But then you realize that humbling and sanctifying is something that we should be doing to and within ourselves. When we branch off into trying to do so unto others, we may end up in a sprial into the other points mentioned. In reality we ar looking at elevating ourselves at the expense, and often the hurt of others.
 
Reading that second list of "one another's", do you see some that need attention in your life? No pressures, I need to look inside myself first. If we truly love one another as Christ commanded, the others will be eliminated in the process.
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com
John 13:33-35
The Message (MSG)
33 "Children, I am with you for only a short time longer. You are going to look high and low for me. But just as I told the Jews, I'm telling you: 'Where I go, you are not able to come.'
34-35 "Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other."

No comments: