Sunday, August 2, 2015

Verse of the Day 8/2

Verse of the Day 8/2

Jeremiah 9:23-24  Thus says the Lord: "Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, 24 but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth.For in these things I delight, declares the Lord."  English Standard Version (ESV)

What do we glory,  boast of and/or  take pride in?  It may be our kids or grandkids, it may be a sports team, a hobby, or classic car.  They are normally things that we'll have pictured in our home and on our desk at work.  They are the things we'll commonly talk about with others, especially those that are getting to know us.  Today's verses, from the book of Jeremiah, the "weeping prophet" tells us that for God followers, these priorities should take a back seat to Someone else.

The question goes deeper than our personal lives, it is also asked of the nation.  Like Israel back then, our nation has lost or is losing its focus, its faith in God.  The call of the prophet is for his people to turn back, to look to the One who is deserving of their glory.

Being the first Sunday of the month, many churches will be celebrating communion.  It should be a time of self evaluation, an opportunity to reflect and focus our attention on Jesus Christ and what He has done for us.  Do this in remembrance of Him.

I'm reminded of the song "I Will Glory in the Cross" as sung by Larnell Harris.  It is a powerful rendition, I'll share few of the lines to help us to focus our attention and glory in Him.

I boast not of works
Nor tell of good deeds
For naught have I done
To merit His grace
All glory and praise
Shall rest upon Him
So willing to die in my place
 
Chorus
I will glory in the cross, in the cross
Lest His suffering all be in vain
I will weep no more
For the cross that He bore
I will glory in the cross

May we boat  that we know Him,  and His "loyal love" (The Message) as displayed in the cross that He bore for you and for me.
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Jeremiah 9:23-24The Message (MSG)

23-24 God's Message:

"Don't let the wise brag of their wisdom.
    Don't let heroes brag of their exploits.
Don't let the rich brag of their riches.
    If you brag, brag of this and this only:
That you understand and know me.
    I'm God, and I act in loyal love.
I do what's right and set things right and fair,
    and delight in those who do the same things.
These are my trademarks."
    God's Decree.

  

No comments: