Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Verse of the Day 11/11


Psalm 121:7-8The Lord will keep you from all evil;

    he will keep your life.
The Lord will keep
    your going out and your coming in
    from this time forth and forevermore.  English Standard Version (ESV)

   
Psalm 121 is probably best known for verse 1, " I will look to the hills, from whence comes my help?  My help comes from the Lord.  The point was not to look to the hills or any other object, but to look to the One who made those majestic mountains which endure, because He is looking out for you, He will keep you from this time forth and forevermore.

When we think of a keeper, we  think of someone who tends to something, manages  something and oversees, much like a shepherd.  The Lord Jesus is all of these things for us.  We should have faith and confidence that He will watch over us, "keep" our going out and coming in, now and forevermore.  The verses have a temporary aspect, relating to the here and now, but it also goes far beyond that to eternal life as well.

This psalm and these thoughts brought my mind  back to Psalm 23.  I often wake up in the middle of the night with the cares and responsibilities of the following day on my mind and the words of the first three verses come to mind and often come out of my mouth .  It is a favorite of mine.  While some, my wife included, think of it as the "death psalm, because it is recited at many if not most funerals.  But the first three verses help to keep me grounded.  The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want (I'll lack no good thing), He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside still waters, He restores my soul.

These psalms have that effect on me, "restoring my soul".  Clearing away the junk, the worries and cares that can drag me down, hitting the reset button, to bring me back to where I should be emotionally and spiritually.

It may not be these same verses, but I would recommend that if you haven't already, that you would find a verse, a passage, memorize it, and go to it in those  times.  May God's Word be your foundation, trust in Him to guard you and keep you as you go out into the world and come back home, today and forevermore.

7-8 God guards you from every evil,
    he guards your very life.
He guards you when you leave and when you return,
    he guards you now, he guards you always.  The Message


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 121The Message (MSG)

A Pilgrim Song

121 1-2 I look up to the mountains;
    does my strength come from mountains?
No, my strength comes from God,
    who made heaven, and earth, and mountains.

3-4 He won't let you stumble,
    your Guardian God won't fall asleep.
Not on your life! Israel's
    Guardian will never doze or sleep.

5-6 God's your Guardian,
    right at your side to protect you—
Shielding you from sunstroke,
    sheltering you from moonstroke.

7-8 God guards you from every evil,
    he guards your very life.
He guards you when you leave and when you return,
    he guards you now, he guards you always.

  

No comments: