Friday, November 6, 2015

Verse of the Day 11/6

Verse of the Day 11/6

Psalm 119:156Great are Your tender mercies, O Lord;  Revive me according to Your judgments.  New King James Version (NKJV)


For many years I've been reading through a different translation of the Bible each year.  My studying has been out of the English Standard Version which I often quote from in these devotionals.  For my daily readings this year I have gone back to the New King James Version.  Part of today's reading there was from Psalm 119.  In this passage, the NKJV uses the phrase "revive me".  Other translations say, give me life or something similar, but reading that phrase "revive me" three times caught my attention as I'm sure was the psalmists intention.

When we lived in Illinois, I remember coming home on the long commute, turning onto Powers road near our home and seeing the open fields seemed to revive me.  It was as if I had left the challenges and cares of the day behind and I was now nearing home.  Just that thought could "revive me".  Another thought about being "revived" was getting a cold drink of water after spending a morning working in the yard or spreading mulch in the heat of a North Carolina summer.  That glass of ice cold water in the shade of a tree brought a sense of being revived.  But far and away the greatest sense of revival for me comes from God's Word.  The cares of the day (or night), the stresses of work, the care and concern over loved ones and other uncertainties of life can wear us down.  God's Word, prayed over and meditated on can bring revival.

Part of my Bible reading today was in Hebrews chapter 2 where the writer cautions us in verse 1 to "take heed, lest we drift away".  When we drift we open ourselves up to all kinds of things that will end up bringing us down.  When we find ourselves in such a place, may we think of the psalmist, may we think of God's tender mercies that we've experienced in the past and ask Him to revive us again.

  1. Revive us again;
    Fill each heart with Thy love;
    May each soul be rekindled
    With fire from above.

  2. We praise Thee, O God!
    For the Son of Thy love,
    For Jesus Who died,
    And is now gone above.
  3. We praise Thee, O God!
    For Thy Spirit of light,
    Who hath shown us our Savior,
    And scattered our night.
  4. All glory and praise
    To the God of all grace,
    Who hast brought us, and sought us,
    And guided our ways.
  5. Refrain:
    Hallelujah! Thine the glory.
    Hallelujah! Amen.
    Hallelujah! Thine the glory.
    Revive us again.

Blessings,
Mike

Psalm 119:153-160New Living Translation (NLT)

Resh

153 
Look upon my suffering and rescue me,
    for I have not forgotten your instructions.
154 
Argue my case; take my side!
    Protect my life as you promised.
155 
The wicked are far from rescue,
    for they do not bother with your decrees.
156 
Lord, how great is your mercy;
    let me be revived by following your regulations.

157 
Many persecute and trouble me,
    yet I have not swerved from your laws.
158 
Seeing these traitors makes me sick at heart,
    because they care nothing for your word.
159 
See how I love your commandments, Lord.
    Give back my life because of your unfailing love.
160 
The very essence of your words is truth;
    all your just regulations will stand forever.

No comments: