Thursday, November 5, 2015

Verse of the Day 11/5

 
Verse of the Day 11/5

Luke 10:36-37 Which of these three, do you think, proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell among the robbers?" 37 He said, "The one who showed him mercy." And Jesus said to him, "You go, and do likewise."  English Standard Version (ESV)


When we think of the word neighbor, we most commonly think of someone who lives near us.  It has a connotation of proximity and of community.  Looking up the definition online confirmed this thought with the first definition being as a noun, "a person living near or next door", but the word is also used as a verb, "to be situated next to or near".  That is more of the context of the story of the good Samaritan here in Luke 10.

We've probably heard of the question that should be asked of this passage "whose neighbor am I"?  The question does deal with whom we are "situated near" but it is not limited to our next door neighbor.  It can be anyone we come in contact, that God brings into the course of our life, our current situation.  The word that jumped out at me in these verses today was the word proved.  The Samaritan proved to be the neighbor by showing compassion.  The priest and other passers by proved not to be neighbors.   Being a true neighbor requires action, acts of mercy, compassion or a simple helping hand or kind word.

These thoughts brought to mind an old hymn, "Make Me a Blessing".  Read the words and then go back and ask the question "whose neighbor am I" and then do your best to "prove to be a neighbor" to someone today.

Out in the highways and byways of life,
many are weary and sad;
are weary and sad
Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife
making the sorrowing glad.

Refrain:
Make me a blessing,
Make me a blessing,
Out of my life
out of my life
May Jesus shine;
Make me a blessing, O savior, I pray,
I pray Thee, my Savior,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

Become (v.36 The Message) a neighbor to someone today.

Blessings,
Mike

Luke 10:33-37The Message (MSG)

33-35 "A Samaritan traveling the road came on him. When he saw the man's condition, his heart went out to him. He gave him first aid, disinfecting and bandaging his wounds. Then he lifted him onto his donkey, led him to an inn, and made him comfortable. In the morning he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, 'Take good care of him. If it costs any more, put it on my bill—I'll pay you on my way back.'
36 "What do you think? Which of the three became a neighbor to the man attacked by robbers?"
37 "The one who treated him kindly," the religion scholar responded.
Jesus said, "Go and do the same."

No comments: