Sunday, November 29, 2015

Verse of the Day 11/29


John 14:5-6  Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?" Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.  English Standard Version (ESV)

John 14:6 is one of the key verses in this gospel.  You will notice that Jesus us saying "the way" and not "a way".  Everything goes through Him.

Last Sunday I was supposed to pick up my son Jason and his family from the airport for Thanksgiving.  His flight  was delayed so I decided to stop at a hotel near the airport and do some reading and prepare for our men's monday morning Bible study.  We were covering John 14:1-5 and I printed a John Piper sermon on the passage which included verse 6.  Verse six was the heading of the message.  I printed it off and had it beside me while still reading online.  A man sat down next to me looked at the heading the verse and responded "I had not seen that verse in 30 years".  This led to a 45 minute conversation about religion and the difference with Christianity.  It is more than "religion" it is about Jesus as "the way, the truth, and the life".  Hopefully, God's Word and the memories from childhood will bring this man back to his roots.  Looking at the world around us he realized that the world would be a better place if more people would follow Jesus' example.

Thomas a Kempis wrote, "Follow me, I am the way, and the truth and the life.  Without the way there is no going; without the truth  there is no knowing; without the life there is no living.  I am the way which thou must follow; the truth which thou must believe; the life for which thou must hope. I am the inviolable way; the infallible truth; the never ending life.  I am  the straightest way; the sovereign truth;  life true, life blessed, life uncreated."

As we complete this Thanksgiving weekend.  Let us take some time to reflect on and be thankful that Jesus Christ has shown us and that He still is and forever will be, "the way, the truth and the life".
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

John 14:1-7The Message (MSG)

The Road

14 1-4 "Don't let this throw you. You trust God, don't you? Trust me. There is plenty of room for you in my Father's home. If that weren't so, would I have told you that I'm on my way to get a room ready for you? And if I'm on my way to get your room ready, I'll come back and get you so you can live where I live. And you already know the road I'm taking."

Thomas said, "Master, we have no idea where you're going. How do you expect us to know the road?"

6-7 Jesus said, "I am the Road, also the Truth, also the Life. No one gets to the Father apart from me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him. You've even seen him!"

  

No comments: