Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Verse of the Day 5/2

Verse of the Day 5/2

1 Corinthians 15:3   I passed on to you what was most important and what had also been passed on to me. Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said.   New Living Translation (NLT)

Our Pastor  Bob referenced today's verse in the introduction to his message last Sunday.  He used the New Living Translation whereas I do most of my reading in the English Standard Version.  What caught my attention here is the beginning statement "I passed on to you"  whereas the ESV states "I delivered to you".  I don't know that it is important and the differences may be subtle, but in thinking about generations and the passing on  of the faith, it caught my attention.

Paul then indicates what is most important to him and what is most important for him to pass along.

I was reminded of some of the "traditions" that we had in our home.  St. Patrick's Day meant corned beef made in a crock pot with carrots and potatoes.  For Thanksgiving, turkey was a staple but so was the choice of apple pie or pumpkin pie for desert.  As our kids grew up and had families of their own they were surprised to hear and experience that this was not the case all over.  We'd even get phone calls from them saying "can you believe they didn't have pumpkin pie for desert?

I'm glad that we had "traditions" to pass along and keep passing along for generations.  But there is one that is much more important than corned beef or pumpkin pie on the appropriate date.  It is that they come to know Jesus as Lord and Savior.  The key for any "tradition" to continue is that the next generation has "to make it their own" (see The Message below).  Saving faith has to be taken hold of individually,each person has to make it there own and apply it in life, put it into action and  celebrate it.

The question then comes naturally, what is most important to you?  What is it that you hope to pass  on to your children and grandchildren and to generations beyond?  Holiday traditions are great, but they are for certain days of the year.  The gospel message, the way, the Christian life is for today, every day for the rest of our lives and for eternity.  That should be of most importance.  May we be emphatic about it.

" The first thing I did was place before you what was placed so emphatically before me: that the Messiah died for our sins, exactly as Scripture tells it; that he was buried; that he was raised from death on the third day, again exactly as Scripture says;"  v.3-4 The Message
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

1 Corinthians 15:1-9The Message (MSG)

Resurrection

15 1-2 Friends, let me go over the Message with you one final time— this Message that I proclaimed and that you made your own; this Message on which you took your stand and by which your life has been saved. (I'm assuming, now, that your belief was the real thing and not a passing fancy, that you're in this for good and holding fast.)

3-9 The first thing I did was place before you what was placed so emphatically before me: that the Messiah died for our sins, exactly as Scripture tells it; that he was buried; that he was raised from death on the third day, again exactly as Scripture says; that he presented himself alive to Peter, then to his closest followers, and later to more than five hundred of his followers all at the same time, most of them still around (although a few have since died); that he then spent time with James and the rest of those he commissioned to represent him; and that he finally presented himself alive to me. It was fitting that I bring up the rear. I don't deserve to be included in that inner circle, as you well know, having spent all those early years trying my best to stamp God's church right out of existence.

  

No comments: