Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Verse of the Day 8/1

 
Verse of the Day 8/1
 
Psalm 26:2-3   Prove me, O Lord, and try me;
    test my heart and my mind.[a]
For your steadfast love is before my eyes,
    and I walk in your faithfulness.   English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Yesterday from Jesus prayer in John 17 we considered how  we  are to be "one", in unity with other believers, to be in tune with  Christ  as instruments  are  tuned in  to a tuning  fork.  I read today's verses from Psalm 26 where David makes  a bold  prayer, but  his desire is to be in tune, in  step with God.
 
In verse two he asks God to prove, try and test him.  All three are ways, processes for testing, refining  and  purifying metals which are "proved" under fire. 
 
Psalm 12:6  The words of the Lord are pure words,
    like silver refined in a furnace on the ground,
    purified seven times. English Standard Version (ESV)
 
The metal  is heated  up and  the  impurities  rise to the surface to be skimmed  off.  After going through  this  process  7 times  the  silver gives a perfect reflection.  His word proves  and  refines  us so that we may become  a reflection of Him.
 
Job, David, Saul and  others in the Bible were tested and went through trials  and  were refined by them.
 
In Job 38 God responds to Job who had questioned Him,  Max Lucado  writes, "God's questions aren't intended to teach; they are intended to stun. They aren't intended to enlighten; they are intended to awaken. They aren't intended to stir the mind; they are intended to bend the knees. . . ." 
 
When was the last time we've been stunned, awakened, or brought  to our  knees by His Word?  What is the prayer  and cry of your heart  today?
 
My weakened will, Lord, Thou canst renew;
My sinful nature Thou canst subdue;
Fill me just now with power anew;
Power to pray and power to do!
 
Teach me to pray, Lord, teach me to pray;
Thou art my pattern day unto day;
Thou art my surety, now and for aye;
Teach me to pray, Lord, teach me to pray.
 
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 
Psalm 26
A psalm of David.
Declare me innocent, O Lord,
    for I have acted with integrity;
    I have trusted in the Lord without wavering.
Put me on trial, Lord, and cross-examine me.
    Test my motives and my heart.
For I am always aware of your unfailing love,
    and I have lived according to your truth.
I do not spend time with liars
    or go along with hypocrites.
I hate the gatherings of those who do evil,
    and I refuse to join in with the wicked.
I wash my hands to declare my innocence.
    I come to your altar, O Lord,
singing a song of thanksgiving
    and telling of all your wonders.
I love your sanctuary, Lord,
    the place where your glorious presence dwells.
 

Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: