Sunday, August 20, 2017

Verse of the Day 8/20

Verse of the Day 8/20

Matthew 28:19-20  Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."   English Standard Version (ESV)

In verse 18 of today's passage Jesus begins by saying "all authority has been given to me" which leads into today's verse where He tells His disciples then and now to "go " and make disciples "baptizing them".  This going includes baptism which revolves around making  a declaration that you have been redeemed, you have been called to live a changed life, real life, life that is worth the living because of that change. 

There is a little three letter word that is significant in the passage, it is all.  We see that Jesus has given all authority, to teach to all nations, about observing all that He has commanded.  John Piper writes, "We must have the real thing. We must see the Original of all power and kindness and purposefulness. We must see and worship the risen Christ." 

All who have come to Christ and have been baptized into Him are called to this.  They are in the process of sanctification, the process of change of being molded into what He would have us to be, it is about "observing", living out all that He has called us to.  As I read these verses and considered this I was reminded of the Steven Curtis Chapman song "The Change".  He points to all of the things that we put on or adorn ourselves, our homes or our cars with that are symbols of being followers, but asks that question "what about the change?"

What about the change
What about the difference
What about the grace
What about forgiveness
What about a life that's showing
I'm undergoing the change yeah
I'm undergoing the change

True baptism as referenced in the verses will respond with the thought that I'm a work in progress, I'm undergoing the change.


I'm gonna have the change
I'm gonna have the difference
I'm gonna have the grace
I'm gonna have forgiveness
I'm gonna live a life that's showing
I'm undergoing the change

It is not something we do on our own, under our own strength, it is through faith and trust in Jesus Christ realizing that He is with us today and always "until the end of the age."

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Matthew 28:16-20The Message (MSG)

16-17 Meanwhile, the eleven disciples were on their way to Galilee, headed for the mountain Jesus had set for their reunion. The moment they saw him they worshiped him. Some, though, held back, not sure about worship, about risking themselves totally.

18-20 Jesus, undeterred, went right ahead and gave his charge: "God authorized and commanded me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."

No comments: