Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Verse of the Day 8/8

Verse of the Day 8/8

Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.    New King James Version (NKJV)

Life is full of ups and downs, sometimes it is a regular or even high speed roller coaster with loop to loops.  So far this year in travels I've seen the Valley of the Shadow of Death in Israel; I've been to Zion National Park and seen the streams in the narrow valley and the majestic views from the heights; I've been to Dollywood where I think I rode every type of roller coaster imaginable.  Sometimes the trials and challenges in our lives can be like that.  We may look back and see God's majesty from the mountaintop experience and also experience the time in the valley in dealing with death or severe illness of a loved one.  Through it all God loves us and as today's verse tells us He demonstrates it "towards" us.

Notice the word is demonstrates, not  demonstrated.  He has shown it to us, is showing it to us today and will through eternity.  In this passage we see at least three things that we have in Christ, who loves us and gave Himself for us.  We have His peace, hope and love.

Yesterday I read the following from John Piper which reminded me of the song "God of the Hills and Valleys" that we sang in church on Sunday.  They served as a reminder of how God demonstrates His  love toward us.

Piper writes, "Are there any practical benefits to following Christ? Paul lists three in these verses: peace with God, hope in affliction, a love that's unconditional.    When Jesus said, "Whoever loses their life for me will find it" (Matthew 16:25), he didn't mean that our lives would become empty when we made the trade. Paul helps us see some of the wonderful blessings that fill our lives when we make that exchange.    Life is full of peaks and valleys. Christ-followers make it through both the good times and the tough times by clinging to promises such as these that God has made."    The reference of the peaks and valleys brought me back to the song that we sang on Sunday.    On the mountains I will bow my life to the One who set me there    In the valley I will lift my eyes to the One who sees me there    When I'm standing on the mountain I didn't get there on my own    When I'm walking through the valley I know I am not alone    You're God of the hills and valleys, hills and valleys    God of the hills and valleys    And I am not alone.      (God of the Hills and Valleys - Tauren Wells)

"For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love."  Romans 5:5b New Living Translation

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Romans 5:1-8New Living Translation (NLT)

Faith Brings Joy

Therefore, since we have been made right in God's sight by faith, we have peace[a] with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God's glory.

We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. Now, most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, though someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good. But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.

No comments: