Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Verse of the Day 8/23

Verse of the Day 8/23
 
Jeremiah 10:23   I know, Lord, that our lives are not our own.
    We are not able to plan our own course.  New Living Translation (NLT)
 
As I read today's verse I couldn't help but think of the  total eclipse of the sun which took place this week across a swath, west to east across the  whole  country.  It  was promoted  ahead  of  time, we  were told  of  the  exact times that  it  would occur  across the country.  Why is that, the course had been set by God, the Creator of all things.  If the stars and planets all went  about randomly, with no charted course the universe would be in shambles.  Planets and stars would be colliding  and it  would be utter chaos.
 
How is it that we, man, think  that we can chart our  own  course through  life and ignore God's order?  How much of the chaos in our  own  lives is a result of going "off course" from  what God has called us to do.  We ignore His guidance  and commands and find  ourselves in trouble,  time  and time  again.  How much will it  take  for us to realize that with our "limited  ability", even at our best (see Amplified Bible below) we can't navigate life on our own?
 
God is a  God of  order not disorder an chaos.  Max Lucado writes, "Your outlook may change. My convictions may sway, but "the Scripture cannot be broken" (John 10:35). And since it can't, since His truth will not waver, God's ways will never alter."  His path is clear, His course is sure and we find it in His Word, in prayer and being  led by His Spirit.
 
If you missed the eclipse this  week, there will be others in the  coming years.  We know when  they will occur because God has charted the course of the sun and the  moon. 
 
If you  want to get your life  back on course, cry out to God,  seek Him as David did  in the  psalms.  I love  the way The Message paraphrases these words  from  Psalm  51:
 
God, make a fresh start in me,
    shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life.
Don't throw me out with the trash,
    or fail to breathe holiness in me.
Bring me back from gray exile,
    put a fresh wind in my sails!   V. 10-12 The Message
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 

Jeremiah 10:23-24  Amplified Bible (AMP)

23 
Lord, I know that the path of [life of] a man is not in himself;
It is not within [the limited ability of] man [even one at his best] to choose and direct his steps [in life].
24 
Lord, correct me [along with Your people], but with mercy andin just measure—
Not in Your anger, or You will crush me and bring me to nothing.
 
 

 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: