Thursday, September 14, 2017

Verse of the Day 9/14

Verse of the Day 9/14

Philippians 4:19  And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.   English Standard Version (ESV)

Yesterday we considered Jesus call for us not to be anxious, especially about trivial things.  In today's verse towards the end of Philippians 4 the Apostle Paul speaks from experience a reason why we should not be anxious, even in the big things.  Consider the source, the author of these words, he is the same person who had been, shipwrecked, beaten, stoned and left for dead, imprisoned and many other things.  But God had delivered him and supplied his need through those storms in life.  It is the same for you and me.

That does not mean that it will be easy.  Notice also that it says "every need" and not every desire.  What we want and what we need are most often very different an many times conflict with one another.  Our job is to stay close to Him in His Word and prayer, follow where He leads and obey His promptings, trusting in His future grace for the day ahead.

John Piper writes, "If we live by faith in this promise of future grace, it will be very hard for anxiety to survive. God's "riches in glory" are inexhaustible. He really means for us not to worry about our future.  We should follow this pattern that Paul lays out for us. We should battle the unbelief of anxiety with the promises of future grace.....When I am anxious about some risky new venture or meeting, I regularly battle unbelief with one of my most often-used promises, Isaiah 41:10."

Isaiah 41:10 fear not, for I am with you;
    be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.    English Standard Version (ESV)


If you are anxious about something today, remember God says "I am with you, I am your God, I will strengthen you and I will uphold you".


 

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Philippians 4:17-20The Message (MSG)

15-17 You Philippians well know, and you can be sure I'll never forget it, that when I first left Macedonia province, venturing out with the Message, not one church helped out in the give-and-take of this work except you. You were the only one. Even while I was in Thessalonica, you helped out—and not only once, but twice. Not that I'm looking for handouts, but I do want you to experience the blessing that issues from generosity.

18-20 And now I have it all—and keep getting more! The gifts you sent with Epaphroditus were more than enough, like a sweet-smelling sacrifice roasting on the altar, filling the air with fragrance, pleasing God no end. You can be sure that God will take care of everything you need, his generosity exceeding even yours in the glory that pours from Jesus. Our God and Father abounds in glory that just pours out into eternity. Yes.

No comments: