Thursday, September 21, 2017

Verse of the Day 9/21

Verse of the Day 9/21

Psalm 23:1-3 a The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
    He restores my soul.   English Standard Version (ESV)

Today's verses are probably very familiar to most of us.  It is often read at funerals, we've heard Psalm 23 read in person, in movies and on TV shows.  Perhaps, because it is familiar, it is also easily passed over or dismissed when we hear it.

When you look at verse 1, there is one key word that should make all the difference to us, they are all important, but it starts with "my", the Lord is "my" shepherd.  It makes all of the difference.  If you don't identify with that little word in reference to the rest of the psalm you can see why the world dismisses it.

In stressful times, I'll often wake up in the middle of the night and the first thoughts, the first words out of my mouth as I lie in bed are these verses.  It happens instinctively,  it is because the Lord is my Shepherd.  The verse leads to thoughts of John 10 where in verses 11 and 14 Jesus says "I am the good Shepherd", and what the good Shepherd does is lead.  It leads to thoughts of other verses and passages such as John 14:6, when Jesus says, "I am the way" , He is the good Shepherd telling us, calling us to follow.  His sheep hear his voice.

The next time you hear this psalm read, try to remember that little word "my" and think about what it means to you.  If you are in a stressful time, remember it, recite it and say a prayer because of it.  Something like:

Psalm 69:13English Standard Version (ESV)

13 But as for me, my prayer is to you, O Lord.
    At an acceptable time, O God,
    in the abundance of your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness.



Savior, like a shepherd lead us,
Much we need Thy tender care;
In Thy pleasant pastures feed us,
For our use Thy folds prepare:
Blessèd Jesus, blessèd Jesus,
Thou hast bought us, Thine we are;
Blessèd Jesus, blessèd Jesus,
Thou hast bought us, Thine we are.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 23New Living Translation (NLT)

Psalm 23

A psalm of David.

The Lord is my shepherd;
    I have all that I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows;
    he leads me beside peaceful streams.
    He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
    bringing honor to his name.
Even when I walk
    through the darkest valley,[a]
I will not be afraid,
    for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
    protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
    My cup overflows with blessings.
Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
    all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord
    forever.

No comments: