Sunday, January 21, 2018

Verse of the Day 1/21

Verse of the Day 1/21

Psalm 62:7-8  On God rests my salvation and my glory;

    my mighty rock, my refuge is God.

Trust in him at all times, O people;
    pour out your heart before him;
    God is a refuge for us. Selah   English Standard Version (ESV)

As I read this Psalm the other day I was reminded that my, that our trust is in the same God as David.  He faced challenging times through his life and always reached out to God as his refuge, as his hope.  In this psalm he pictures himself, his faith at times as being like a broken down wall or a fence tottering on the brink of falling over.  How many times in our lives do we feel that way, things around us are spinning, the foundation of our world, our faith may seem like it is tottering.  It is at times like this, more than other times that we are to "pour out our hearts" to Him as David did.

We can be the same way and be an example as David was by trusting God to be our mighty rock and refuge.  Our salvation, our lives, both now and for eternity are in His hands.  He will see us through in the same love that we read of in 1 Corintians 13 and in the same hope that "all things work together for good" as we recently read in Romans 8:28.  The circumstances hadn't yet changed from verse 3 in the psalm but the attitude has.  As the verse says at the end of it "selah", stop and think calmly about that.

I was working in the garage yesterday with these verses still  in my mind when I heard the Mercy Me song "Even If" played on the radio.  It spoke to me as it never had before, though I've probably heard it a hundred times or more.  But this time it brought together so many things, so many memories in my life including the last line "it is well with my soul"  which goes back to the hymn by the same name written by Horatio Spafford after the biggest trial in his life.

It's easy to sing
When there's nothing to bring me down
But what will I say
When I'm held to the flame
Like I am right now
I know You're able and I know You can
Save through the fire with Your mighty hand
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone
They say it only takes a little faith
To move a mountain
Well good thing
A little faith is all I have, right now
But God, when You choose
To leave mountains unmovable
Oh give me the strength to be able to sing
It is well with my soul

The songwriter is holding on to God as his rock and refuge, putting his faith on the line, acknowledging that even if deliverance doesn't come in this life, our trust remains in Him alone.  It shows a faith that isn't tottering or about to collapse, but instead is being built up, a bullwark never failing.

A mighty fortress is our God.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 62New Living Translation (NLT)

Psalm 62

For Jeduthun, the choir director: A psalm of David.

I wait quietly before God,
    for my victory comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
    my fortress where I will never be shaken.

So many enemies against one man—
    all of them trying to kill me.
To them I'm just a broken-down wall
    or a tottering fence.
They plan to topple me from my high position.
    They delight in telling lies about me.
They praise me to my face
    but curse me in their hearts. Interlude

Let all that I am wait quietly before God,
    for my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
    my fortress where I will not be shaken.
My victory and honor come from God alone.
    He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me.
O my people, trust in him at all times.
    Pour out your heart to him,
    for God is our refuge. Interlude

No comments: