Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Verse of the Day 1/30

Verse of the Day 1/30
 

Proverbs 4:20-23  My son, be attentive to my words;
    incline your ear to my sayings.
21 Let them not escape from your sight;
    keep them within your heart.
22 For they are life to those who find them,
    and healing to all their flesh. English Standard Version (ESV)

 
Seldom do I post more than two verses as "the verse of the day" but as I read these verses, amid what is going on in our lives, I could not separate them.  The first verse and the "be attentive to my words" and "inclining" leaning into His Word are key keeping them in our hearts and being "life and healing" for us through all the days, all the ups and downs, all of the trials and all of the joys.
 
Reading the verses, this short passage, came up in my "read through" the Bible plan as presented by Grace to You.  In reading them in my eBiBle, which is the John MacArthur study Bible, I had posted the following note some time ago.  I don't recall the source but it was posted, not realizing that I would need to read it at this time.
 
"Do you want to be happy tomorrow? Then sow seeds of happiness today. (Count blessings. Memorize Bible verses. Pray. Sing hymns. Spend time with encouraging people.) Do you want to guarantee tomorrow's misery? Then wallow in a mental mud pit of self-pity or guilt or anxiety today. (Assume the worst. Beat yourself up. Rehearse your regrets. Complain to complainers.) Thoughts have consequences…..Healing from anxiety requires healthy thinking. Your challenge is not your challenge. Your challenge is the way you think about your challenge. Your problem is not your problem; it is the way you look at it."
 
I think that we can all agree that thoughts have consequences, they shape our minds, form our outlook, our perspective.  We are at our best when we start our day, when we continually go to the wisdom of God's word.  You may face challenges, but remember "your challenge is not your challenge" but the way you think about it.  The question is not why, but more of what.  What are you trying to show me Lord?  Open my eyes, help me see things in your Word, lead me down the ancient paths.   Thinking of that call "lead me" brings me to Psalm 23 .
 

Psalm 23:1-3 English Standard Version (ESV)

The Lord Is My Shepherd

A Psalm of David.

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.[a]

    He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness[b]

    for his name's sake.
 
All the way my Savior leads me 
What have I to ask beside? 
Can I doubt His faithful mercies? 
Who through life has been my guide 
Heavenly peace, divinest comfort 
Ere by faith in Him to dwell 
For I know whate'er fall me 
Jesus doeth all things well
 
All of the way my Savior leads me 
And He cheers each winding path I tread 
Gives me strength for every trial 
And He feeds me with the living bread 
And though my weary steps may falter 
And my soul a-thirst may be 
Gushing from a rock before me 
Though a spirit joy I see
 
And all the way my Savior leads me 
Oh, the fullness of His love 
Perfect rest in me is promised 
In my Father's house above 
When my spirit clothed immortal 
Wings it's flight through the realms of the day 
This my song through endless ages 
Jesus led me all the way
 
 
 
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 

Proverbs 4:20-23 New Living Translation (NLT)

20 My child, pay attention to what I say.
    Listen carefully to my words.
21 Don't lose sight of them.
    Let them penetrate deep into your heart,
22 for they bring life to those who find them,
    and healing to their whole body.
23 Guard your heart above all else,
    for it determines the course of your life.
 
 
 


 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: