Monday, January 8, 2018

Verse of the Day 1/8

Verse of the Day 1/8

Romans 12:12-13 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.13 Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.

English Standard Version (ESV)

Tom Petty had a song in which he sang "You take it on faith, you take it to the heart ,the waiting is the hardest part."  I don't know if it is the hardest part, but it challenges us when we have to wait on the results of a final exam, for the results of an election or the results of an x-ray or other medical test.  Today's verses have some good advice for us as Christians while we wait for such things.  Be hopeful, be patient and be constant in prayer.  I used to think that the last portion meant to be constantly in prayer, but what if we looked at it as being constant, consistent in our faith, in who we are in Christ?

Some time ago, I had posted the following from James MacDonald in regards to this verse in my "eBible".  "Notice the two areas of peaceful protection we can expect from our Heavenly Father: our hearts and our minds. God will guard those two parts of us, eighteen inches apart, which seem to conspire against us. If our hearts are troubled, it won't be long before our minds will be in turmoil. If our thoughts are headed in the wrong direction, our hearts will soon follow. But God's peace, the assurance of His control, can guard both heart and mind no matter what we are facing."  That last statement is a picture of that remaining "constant" in prayer - hopeful, steady and with assurance that God "has this".    On our way to church yesterday, my wife Jean and I heard the song "Fearless" by Jasmine Murray.  It gives an example of being "constant" in prayer.    
I wanna be fearless
No holding back no backing down
Fearless
Because I believe you're with me now
Bring on the unknown
Lead me and I'll go
Come set me free
God, I want to be
Fearless (I want to be)
Fearless (I want to be)
These mountains these giants 
Will fall at a single word
In your name in your strength
I'm more than a conqueror

I'll close with a couple of verses from Philippians that I would have to say are our sons life verses, another prayer that I would have is that we could be "constant" and "fearless" with hope that surpasses all understanding.
Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  –Philippians 4:5-7
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Romans 12:9-13New Living Translation (NLT)

Don't just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. 10 Love each other with genuine affection,[a] and take delight in honoring each other. 11 Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically.[b] 12 Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. 13 When God's people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality.

No comments: