Thursday, January 25, 2018

Verse of the Day 1/25

Verse of the Day 1/25
 
Psalm 63:1-2 O God, You are my God;
Early will I seek You;
My soul thirsts for You;
My flesh longs for You
In a dry and thirsty land
Where there is no water.
So I have looked for You in the sanctuary,
To see Your power and Your glory. 
New King James Version (NKJV)
 
Yesterday we considered how God draws us to Him and how we are to draw near to God.  The day starts with choices and the first one should be to spend time with Him.  I like to do so with  a cup of coffee in hand as I sit in my recliner.  Today's psalm is one from David, and the attitude of seeking Him early is common throughout the Psalms.  He speaks of quenching His thirst with the Living water that comes from this close relationship with God.   In Psalm 42 the psalmist states, "as the deer pants for water, so I long for you O God".  Unlike a camel, the deer needs water every day and will return to the known source.  So it should be with us.
 
We also read in Psalm 119:36 that the psalmist there prays to God to "incline my heart to your testimonies", His Word.  It is a picture of leaning in to hear an important word or instruction. I must want to know God and read His Word to know Him.  Such a prayer is important to focus our attention as we read, as we walk through the word, seeking that He will guide our steps and help us to make the choices that we considered yesterday.
 
David Jeremiah writes that "you can avoid the life threatening condition of spiritual dehydration by drinking deeply from God's fountain of life.  Absorb the Word of God, bathe yourselves regularly in prayer, and drink of God's goodness.  He satisfies the thirsty soul."
 
Don't risk spiritual hydration.  Seek Him early and often, seek Him in prayer, offer praise and thanksgiving, and drink from the fountain for life.
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 

Psalm 63:1-4New Living Translation (NLT)

Psalm 63

A psalm of David, regarding a time when David was in the wilderness of Judah.

O God, you are my God;
    I earnestly search for you.
My soul thirsts for you;
    my whole body longs for you
in this parched and weary land
    where there is no water.
I have seen you in your sanctuary
    and gazed upon your power and glory.
Your unfailing love is better than life itself;
    how I praise you!
I will praise you as long as I live,
    lifting up my hands to you in prayer.



 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: