Friday, March 2, 2018

Verse of the Day 2/2

Verse of the Day 2/2

Matthew 5:8   "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.   English Standard Version (ESV)

I mentioned the other day that one of Billy Graham's favorite songs was "How Great Thou Art".  Another one that was often played during the alter call at crusades was "Just as I am".    Just as I am, without one plea,  But that Thy blood was shed for me,  And that Thou bid'st me come to Thee,  O Lamb of God, I come! I come!    John Piper writes, "In other words, there is no basis, no foundation for me to stand on in God's presence except that Jesus died in my place. I come to him on that basis alone, not on the basis of my worth or merit or good deeds or heritage or church affiliation or baptism. Christ alone is the ground of my acceptance with God."    Today's verse comes from the Beatitudes which begin Jesus' sermon on the mount in Matthew 5-7, the greatest sermon ever preached.  As I read today's verse and the passage this morning, I was reminded of the song and the quote by John Piper.  The "pure in heart" attitude shows in the song and is at the core of the rest of the beatitudes.    The definition of pure is "not mixed or adulterated with any other substance or material"  - you shall have no other God before me; without any extraneous and unnecessary elements - all else is stripped away, our pride, our efforts to make it on our own; free of contamination - realizing that there is no other way, no other name by which we are saved (Acts 4:12).    Whether it is played the next time you observe communion, let this song, let these verses speak to your heart as you prepare your hearts to come before God.    
  1. Just as I am, without one plea,
    But that Thy blood was shed for me,
    And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
    O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
  2. Just as I am, though tossed about
    With many a conflict, many a doubt,
    Fightings and fears within, without,
    O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
  3. Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
    Sight, riches, healing of the mind,
    Yea, all I need in Thee to find,
    O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
  4. Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
    Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
    Because Thy promise I believe,
    O Lamb of God, I come, I come
n

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Matthew 5 New Living Translation (NLT)

The Sermon on the Mount

One day as he saw the crowds gathering, Jesus went up on the mountainside and sat down. His disciples gathered around him, and he began to teach them.

The Beatitudes

"God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him,[a]
    for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
God blesses those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
God blesses those who are humble,
    for they will inherit the whole earth.
God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice,[b]
    for they will be satisfied.
God blesses those who are merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.
God blesses those whose hearts are pure,
    for they will see God.
God blesses those who work for peace,
    for they will be called the children of God.
10 God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right,
    for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.

11 "God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers. 12 Be happy about it! Be very glad! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were persecuted in the same way.

No comments: