Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Verse of the Day 3/13

Verse of the Day 3/13

Psalm 119:1-2  Blessed are those whose way is blameless,

    who walk in the law of the Lord!
Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,
    who seek him with their whole heart,   English Standard Version (ESV)

Our men's Bible study group began a new study in Psalm 119 yesterday.  The chapter is the longest one in the Bible and it is all about God's Word.  His Word is referenced in all but 3 of the 176 verses.   Words such as law, decrees, testimonies, precepts, judgments, commandments and ordinances are used as references to God's Word.  This much attention should give us an idea of how important God's Word should be for a God follower.

In the video for the passage Pastor Matt Chandler read these verses and said that the first reaction to anyone reading those verses would likely be "if those are the standards, I'm out".  We can't possibly measure up to that, not on our own.  But we as Christians know that we have the righteousness of Christ.  Our faith and trust in Him put us in a right relationship with God.  It is a life, a walk, of following Him. 

Notice the verbs, the "action" words in the first three verses - keep, seek and walk or follow.  We need to keep His word in our hearts and minds, to keep it we must know it, remember it, have it in front of us.  In doing this we will be seeking to know Him in order to follow Him.

Our time with God is not only that time itself in His Word, it keeps coming up, coming back to us in the day.  John Eldredge writes, "Time with God each day is not about academic study or getting through a certain amount of Scripture or any of that.  It's about connecting with God.  We've got to keep those lines of communication open, so use whatever helps. Sometimes I'll listen to music; other times I'll read Scripture or a passage from a book; often I will journal; maybe I'll go for a run; then there are days when all I need is silence and solitude and the rising sun. The point is simply to do whatever brings me back to my heart and the heart of God."     Read the passage below and perhaps the Beatitudes in Matthew 5:2-12.  Realize that you are blessed, seek Him, keep His Word, and follow Him.  
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 119:1-8 The Message (MSG)

119 1-8 You're blessed when you stay on course,
    walking steadily on the road revealed by God.
You're blessed when you follow his directions,
    doing your best to find him.
That's right—you don't go off on your own;
    you walk straight along the road he set.
You, God, prescribed the right way to live;
    now you expect us to live it.
Oh, that my steps might be steady,
    keeping to the course you set;
Then I'd never have any regrets
    in comparing my life with your counsel.
I thank you for speaking straight from your heart;
    I learn the pattern of your righteous ways.
I'm going to do what you tell me to do;
    don't ever walk off and leave me.

No comments: