Thursday, March 15, 2018

Verse of the Day 3/15

 
Verse of the  Day 3/15
 
Psalm 119:15-16    I meditate on your precepts
    and consider your ways.
16 I delight in your decrees;
    I will not neglect your word.  New International Version (NIV)
 
In verses 2 and 3 of Psalm 119 we read "blessed are those who keep His testimonies, who seek Him with their whole heart."   That seeking with the whole heart involves a continuous action, it is a matter of the will which comes out in today's verses "I will meditate, I will fix my eyes, I will not neglect your word". 
 
What does neglect involve?   A parent, leaving a child alone unattended can be considered neglect.  Neglect a yard or a house for any period of time and the results will show.  How many Bibles are neglected, left alone, sitting on a shelf?  The Bible is to be read, it is to be thought of and acted upon.  The Message below states that we can live a clean life by "carefully reading the map of your Word."
 
In "Habits of Grace", David Mathis writes, "As much as we want a quick  x, some fast lesson that makes us near-experts in just a few short minutes, the best of Bible reading isn't learned overnight or even after a semester of lectures, but day after day, week after week, month after month, and year after year, imbibing the Bible, having God's words in- form our minds, inspire our hearts, instruct our lives. It is then that we slowly see the lights going on everywhere as we walk through life, and keep walking through the texts."
Look at the action words in the verse meditating, considering and delighting in God's word are all actions of the will, which if implemented in our lives will lead us follow that map, keep us from neglecting the word.  Take time to spend some time alone with God each day, walking through His Word.  Find a place and a pace that works for you.  Don't neglect it.
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 

Psalm 119:9-16 The Message (MSG)

9-16 How can a young person live a clean life?
    By carefully reading the map of your Word.
I'm single-minded in pursuit of you;
    don't let me miss the road signs you've posted.
I've banked your promises in the vault of my heart
    so I won't sin myself bankrupt.
Be blessed, God;
    train me in your ways of wise living.
I'll transfer to my lips
    all the counsel that comes from your mouth;
I delight far more in what you tell me about living
    than in gathering a pile of riches.
I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you,
    I attentively watch how you've done it.
I relish everything you've told me of life,
    I won't forget a word of it.
 
 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: