Friday, March 23, 2018

Verse of the Day 3/23

Verse of the Day 3/23
 
Psalm 119:37    Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
    and give me life in your ways.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
My read through the New Testament plan today brought me to Luke 1 where I read Mary's "Magnificant" where she starts by saying "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior."  It brought me back to yesterday's post where David in Psalm 119 had asked God to "enlarge his heart".  We closed yesterday with the song Awake My Soul, "prepare an entrance for your glory and let my heart become a throne for you to dwell".  Gabriel, the angel, had given her the message that she would give birth to the Son of God, and Elizabeth being filled with the Spirit herself confirmed this.  Mary's response was to cry out "my soul magnifies the Lord".  Her heart had truly been enlarged, her soul had been awakened to the glorious news.  Her focus was now away from the world and it's troubles and turned towards God.
 
If our hearts, if our souls are to be awakened, restored, renewed, they will have to change focus; away from the "worthless things" and towards God and our Savior Jesus Christ.  James MacDonald writes, "The Bible clearly and repeatedly teaches that God wants to revive our relationship with Him. He wants to wake us up, to refresh our faith, to fire us up again. Revival is renewed interest after a period of indifference or decline......Revival is returning to God's path, setting our sights on the goal again, and pursuing with new passion the One who can make our lives more than we'd ever dreamed. Revival is gladly experiencing and enjoying God at the center of our lives. Revival is seeing God at work."
 
May that be our hope and prayer "experiencing and enjoying God at the center of our lives".    It will involve turning away from a modern world of worthless things in order to receive life in God's ways.
 
I'll close with the following hymn written by Isaac Watts, oven sung in preparation for communion, preparing our hearts, focusing our hearts towards God and away from the vain, worthless things, magnifying the Lord.
 
1.    When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.
2.    Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.
 
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 
Psalm 119:33-37 New Living Translation (NLT)
He
33 Teach me your decrees, O Lord;
    I will keep them to the end.
34 Give me understanding and I will obey your instructions;
    I will put them into practice with all my heart.
35 Make me walk along the path of your commands,
    for that is where my happiness is found.
36 Give me an eagerness for your laws
    rather than a love for money!
37 Turn my eyes from worthless things,
    and give me life through your word.
 
 


Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: