Thursday, March 22, 2018

Verse of the Day 3/22

Verse of the Day 3/22
 
Psalm 119:31-32    I cling to your testimonies, O Lord;
    let me not be put to shame!
32 I will run in the way of your commandments
    when you enlarge my heart!  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
What caught my attention in today's verses the phrase "when you enlarge my heart".  It is similar the prayer of Jabez to enlarge his territory, not for himself but to live for God.  It also reminded me of a runner.  Before my back issues, I used to like jogging and running.  Those who have run 5k's, 10k's and marathons know what it is like to hit the wall when you feel like you can't go any further but you press on.  But in pushing on and pushing through you reach a point where you get your second wind and you feel a rush, a strength, a rhythm that carries you on to the finish.  Some refer to adrenaline or endorphins, but whatever it is, if you've been a runner you have experienced it.  For those who don't run or jog regularly, you can't just go out and run a 5 or 10k, let alone a marathon without training.  If you go into it and hit the wall and expect that second wind and it doesn't happen it is due to that lack of training.  Your heart, your whole system, has not been prepared for it, it has not been "enlarged".
 
That daily time with God in His Word and in prayer is the way that God enlarges our spiritual hearts.  It prepares us for those times when we hit the wall and press on in the challenges of life.  It is not adrenaline or endorphins that give us the strength, the rhythm to push through, it is God's Holy Spirit working in us, putting wind in our sails, that does it.  It is the clinging to His Word, His testimonies, what He has done in the past and confidence in what He will do in the future that give us the will to press on and have our hearts enlarged.  It is not superficial it goes deep, to the heart and soul of who we are.
 
Perhaps you've been running spiritually lately and feel like you've hit the wall.  Press on, ask God to enlarge your heart as you seek Him, ask Him to awake your soul.
 
After considering these verses in our men's Bible study the other day,while driving down to Anderson SC,  I listened to the Phillips, Craig and Dean song "Awake My Soul".  I could picture David singing a song or a psalm like it with the attitude "I'll run the course you lay out for me if you'll just show me how."  (Psalm 119:32 The Message)
 
Awake my soul, prepare an entrance for Your glory
And let my heart become a throne for You to dwell
And when I need Your Holy Spirit more than life itself
Then Christ is formed in me

When I lose myself, I reflect Your image
When I break, I break my will, then I am whole
When I give, give my all, I find life everlasting
Then Christ is formed in me      (Awake My Soul – Phillips, Craig & Dean)
 
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 

Psalm 119:25-32 The Message (MSG)

25-32 I'm feeling terrible—I couldn't feel worse!
    Get me on my feet again. You promised, remember?
When I told my story, you responded;
    train me well in your deep wisdom.
Help me understand these things inside and out
    so I can ponder your miracle-wonders.
My sad life's dilapidated, a falling-down barn;
    build me up again by your Word.
Barricade the road that goes Nowhere;
    grace me with your clear revelation.
I choose the true road to Somewhere,
    I post your road signs at every curve and corner.
I grasp and cling to whatever you tell me;
    God, don't let me down!
I'll run the course you lay out for me
    if you'll just show me how.
 

 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: