Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Verse of the Day 3/7

Verse of the Day 3/7

Psalm 34:3-4   Oh, magnify the Lord with me,

    and let us exalt his name together!

I sought the Lord, and he answered me
    and delivered me from all my fears.     English Standard Version (ESV)

The NIV translation of verse 3 states "glorify the Lord" and here in the ESV it is "magnify the Lord" they both say or point to the same thing, we are to see Him for who He is, the Almighty the King of the universe, the Creator and giver and sustainer of life.  A.W. Tozer writes, "Most of us see God too small; our God is too little.  David said "glorify the Lord with me" and glorify doesn't mean to make God big.  You can't make Him big.  But you can see Him big."....And if there is one terrible disease in the Church of Christ, it is that we do not see God as great as He is.  We're too familiar with God."

When was the last time that you were struck with awe by the majesty and glory of God?  Was it in creation, in a beautiful mountain scene or perhaps a sunrise or sunset?  How about in His Word, where you stand amazed at something that it brought to you at just the right time?  How about in answer to prayer, for healing for peace for strength just when you needed it most? 

As Tozer writes, "we can't make God big" but we can see Him big and tell others of how big, how great He truly is and how much He cares for, how much He loves us and delivers us from our fears.

Wonderful grace of Jesus,
Greater than all my sin;
How shall my tongue describe it,
Where shall its praise begin?
Taking away my burden,
Setting my spirit free;
For the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.

Wonderful the matchless grace of Jesus,
Deeper than the mighty rolling sea;
Higher than the mountain, sparkling like a fountain,
All sufficient grace for even me,
Broader than the scope of my transgressions,
Greater far than all my sin and shame,
O magnify the precious name of Jesus,
Praise his name!

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 34:1-4 New Living Translation (NLT)

Psalm 34[a]

A psalm of David, regarding the time he pretended to be insane in front of Abimelech, who sent him away.

I will praise the Lord at all times.
    I will constantly speak his praises.
I will boast only in the Lord;
    let all who are helpless take heart.
Come, let us tell of the Lord's greatness;
    let us exalt his name together.

I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me.
    He freed me from all my fears.

No comments: