Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Verse of the Day 5/29

Verse of the Day 5/29



John 10:14-15
New King James Version



14 I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. 15 As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.


For today's verse we return to John 10 for the next "I am" statement.  Jesus said "I am the good shepherd".  It comes immediately after His statement "I am the door" or "I am the gate", depending on what translation you read.  The shepherd leads the sheep through the gate and into His presence where there is security.  The shepherd cares for them, is with them and will provide protection.

The verse is a reminder of Psalm 23 where David describe the Lord as his shepherd, providing for hjim "I shall not want"; giving him rest, leading him to quiet water; restoring his soul, guiding him along life's path, even through the "valleys", comforting him and pursuing him with His love all the days of his life.

I'm reminded of the Gaither Vocal Band song, "Beyond the Open Door".  It points to the door, the gate as being the opportunity of new life, away from the familar through the open door.  The door is still open.

In the things familiar
We find security
Resisting all the changes
That days and years can bring
When God decides to lead you
Through an open door
Inviting you to walk in realms
You've never known before

Beyond the open door
Is a new and fresh anointing
Hear the Spirit calling you to go
Walk on through the door
For the Lord will go before you
Into a greater power
You've never known before

Hear the Spirit calling
To wake the living dead
To reach the huddled masses
Who cry out for living bread
Arise, oh, mighty army
Take up thy shield and sword
For the Father lifts His golden lamp
Beside the open door





Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

John 10:7-14
New King James Version

Jesus the Good Shepherd

Then Jesus said to them again, "Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who ever came [a]before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

11 "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep. 12 But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them. 13 The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own.



No comments: