Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Verse of the Day 5/1

Verse of the Day 5/1


Psalm 46:1-2
New International Version


God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,



I began my devotions this morniing in Hebrews 11 where in verse 6 we read, "and without faith it is impossible to please Him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists".  That belief in Hebrews 11:6 has to do with fiath, has to do with trust.  As parents, at some point in our lives we have told our children "trust me in this".  Their reaction shows thier belief, their faith in what you say.  So it is with God.  Are we willing to trust Him in faith?

In Psalm 46 God is referred to as our "refuge and strength" and "an ever present helpin trouble".  His Word is saying trust me in this.  When we do it pleases Him as did our child when they reacted in faith in us when we said "trust me".

J.R. Miller writes, "Jesus teaches that we are to pray to God as our Father. We must come to Him, therefore, as His redeemed children--with the genuineness, the simplicity, the confidence of children. When we stand at God's throne of grace and speak the name "Father" and ask for a child's blessing--we are sure of instant welcome."

Sometimes we need to remember that childlike faith and pray, trust and take refuge in Him.

I would lay me down to sleep
And pray the Lord my soul to keep
And though I never saw Him there
I believe He heard each prayer
For God was great, And God was good
And I knew if I spoke the words
He would be listening

The years can take us far away
From the simple child like faith
But I am longing to return
To the place where I first learned
That God is great, and God is good
So, I will speak the words

God, our Father, once again
I bow my head to pray
You are my Father and my friend, and You hear every word I say
A prayer for forgiveness, A desperate cry for help
Or praise flowing from a thankful heart
Like each time before, I come knowing You're still listening                       (Still Listening - Steven Curtis Chapman)
    
Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Psalm 46:1-7
New International Version

Psalm 46[a]

For the director of music. Of the Sons of Korah. According to alamoth.[b] A song.

God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
    and the mountains quake with their surging.

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall;
    God will help her at break of day.
Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
    he lifts his voice, the earth melts.

The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.


No comments: