Friday, May 31, 2024

Verse of the Day 5/30

Verse of the Day 5/30



John 11:25-26
New King James Version



25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?"

For today's verse we move onto the 5th of Jesus' "I Am" declarations, "I am the resurrection and the life.  As I read through the gospels I try to take notice of any question that Jesus asks of someone.  Friend or foe, they are pointed questions and quite often they are questions that we can ask of ourselves.  After stating that "whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.  "Do you believe this?

John MacArthur writes, "With this statement, Jesus moved Mary from an abstract belief in the resurrection that will take place "at the last day"(see 5:28, 29) to a personalized trust in Him who alone can raise the dead. No resurrection or eternal life exists outside of the Son of God. Time ("at the last day") is no barrier to the One who has the power of resurrection and life (1:4) for He can give life at any time."

We can answer that question "do you believe this" in two ways.  We can say that we believe with a "head knowledge" but not have it change forever the way we live.  The other is to believe at our core.  It is part of our being, it goes with what Jesus says, "whoever lives and believes".  Live like you believe it,

I go back to John 11:34 where Jesus spoke of Lazarus' illness saying, "this will not end in death".  Lazarus died, but it was not the end.  Jesus raised Him back to life.  Jesus through His resurrection proved His power over death.  That same power lives in us and He will raise up on that glorious day.

  1. Living for Jesus, a life that is true,
    Striving to please Him in all that I do;
    Yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
    This is the pathway of blessing for me.
    • Refrain:
      O Jesus, Lord and Savior, I give myself to Thee,
      For Thou, in Thy atonement, didst give Thyself for me;
      I own no other Master, my heart shall be Thy throne;
      My life I give, henceforth to live, O Christ, for Thee alone.
  2. Living for Jesus Who died in my place,
    Bearing on Calv'ry my sin and disgrace;
    Such love constrains me to answer His call,
    Follow His leading and give Him my all.
  3. Living for Jesus, wherever I am,
    Doing each duty in His holy Name;
    Willing to suffer affliction and loss,
    Deeming each trial a part of my cross.
  4. Living for Jesus through earth's little while,
    My dearest treasure, the light of His smile;
    Seeking the lost ones He died to redeem,
    Bringing the weary to find rest in Him.       (Thomas Chisholm)


Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

John 11:17-27
New King James Version

I Am the Resurrection and the Life

17 So when Jesus came, He found that he had already been in the tomb four days. 18 Now Bethany was near Jerusalem, about two miles away. 19 And many of the Jews had joined the women around Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother.

20 Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met Him, but Mary was sitting in the house. 21 Now Martha said to Jesus, "Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But even now I know that whatever You ask of God, God will give You."

23 Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."

24 Martha said to Him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."

25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?"

27 She said to Him, "Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world."





No comments: