Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Verse of the Day 3/10

Through the Bible -Deuteronomy 14-16, Mark 14:10-31
Good morning,
For today's verse we'll return to Proverbs chapter 4.
 
Prov 4:23 Above all else, guard your heart,
for it is the wellspring of life.
24 Put away perversity from your mouth;
keep corrupt talk far from your lips.   NIV
We are told to guard our heats.  Guarding involves being careful to protect, defend, and to ward off things that can corrupt our hearts.  Just as a computer virus corrupts programs and eventually causes a computer to crash, corrupt words, images, and thoughts can creep in and worm their way into many areas of our lives and making us ineffective in our walk and lead us to a crash.
 
Part of guarding our hearts is keeping corrupt talk from your lips, this involves thoughtfulness ,of which J.R. Miller writes, "Thoughtfulness is a necessary lesson. There are a great many thoughtless Christians. They are always blundering in their interactions with others. They say the wrong word, they do the wrong thing. They are always hurting other people's feelings, giving pain to gentle hearts. Yet it is all from thoughtlessness. "I didn't mean to offend him. I didn't mean to be unkind. I just never thought!" There are few lessons in Christian life that more people need to learn, than this of thoughtfulness."  We need to think more before we speak.
 

The way to keep your heart is to have it purified and to keep it pure,  something that only God can truly accomplish through the power of His Spirit in us.

 

Purify my heart
Let me be as gold and precious silver
Purify my heart
Let me be as gold, pure gold
Refiner's fire
My heart's one desire
Is to be holy
Set apart for You, Lord
I choose to be holy
Set apart for You, my Master
Ready to do Your will.
 
What are you doing to be "set apart" and "ready" to do His will?
 
Blessings,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com
 
Prov 4:20-5:1
Dear friend, listen well to my words;
tune your ears to my voice.
Keep my message in plain view at all times.
Concentrate! Learn it by heart!
Those who discover these words live, really live;
body and soul, they're bursting with health.
Keep vigilant watch over your heart;
that's where life starts.
Don't talk out of both sides of your mouth;
avoid careless banter, white lies, and gossip.
Keep your eyes straight ahead;
ignore all sideshow distractions.
Watch your step,
and the road will stretch out smooth before you.
Look neither right nor left;
leave evil in the dust.    THE MESSAGE

No comments: