Thursday, March 18, 2010

Verse of the Day 3/18

Through the Bible - Joshua 1-2, Luke 1:57-80
 
Good morning,
How often do we follow through on the Spirit's prompting?  Maybe you haven't felt it for a while.
 
A.W. Tozer was a 20th century pastor of a church in Chicago as well as a gifted writer.  He is still quoted often today across denominational lines.
I read the following quote from him the other day.   "And to expose our hearts to truth and consistently refuse to obey the impulses it arouses is to stymie the motions of life within us and, if persisted in, to grieve the Holy Spirit into silence."  Humbling and sobering words for us.

For today's verse we'll go to Philippians 2 where Paul challenges his readers to "work out your own salvation".
 
Phil 2:12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.   NKJV

Francis Chan in his book "Forgotten God" writes, "I love the apparent contradiction in this passage.  Paul says in one breath, "Work out your own salvation", and in the next, "It is God who works in you".  The both-ness here doesn't allow us to escape with a simple conclusion.  Yes, it is God who works in you.  And, yes, there is work for you to do.  Yes, the Spirit empowers you to do the work.  And, yes, you do the work."
 
He continues, "Like many things in life, there really isn't a sew-it-all-up solution.  And I love that.  God is big and mysterious enough that we cannot simply put a label on this process and move on.  It requires continuous engagement and wrestling and discovering how to live a Spirit filled life today."
 

Reading those words I was reminded of Jacob back in Genesis 32 wrestling with God.  He wrestled and was changed, he was no longer the same person, his life , his walk (literally and figureatively) would no longer be the same.

 

The next time you feel a prompting, think about these words "God works in you to will and to do".

 

Blessings,
Mike

mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Phil 2:12-19
Shine Brightly for Christ
12 Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. 13 For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.
14 Do everything without complaining and arguing, 15 so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people. 16 Hold firmly to the word of life; then, on the day of Christ's return, I will be proud that I did not run the race in vain and that my work was not useless. 17 But I will rejoice even if I lose my life, pouring it out like a liquid offering to God, just like your faithful service is an offering to God. And I want all of you to share that joy. 18 Yes, you should rejoice, and I will share your joy.  NLT

No comments: