Saturday, March 6, 2010

Verse of the Day - weekend 3/6

Through the Bible - Deuteronomy 4-9, Mark 12
 
Good morning,
When  a person is arrested for drunk driving they are given a DUI, which stands for "driving under the influence'.  Every day of our lives we are operating, living under the influence of someone or some thing.  In yesterday's passage the man was influenced by the demons within him.  We may be influenced by the world around us and what we consume of it, whether it be drugs. alcohol, or any number of addictions including work.  You have heard of workaholics haven't you.
 
For today's verse we'll go to Psalm 63 where David shows what it is like to be influenced by God, to "follow hard" after Him.
Psalm 63:8 My whole being follows hard after You and clings closely to You; Your right hand upholds me.     Amplified Bible
 
When someone is pulled over when suspected of drunk driving, they are given several tests to perform from touching there fingers to their nose with their eyes closed to "walking the line".  If they fail the tests they will receive the ticket.
As Christians, how do our lives reflect that we are living under God's influence, the influence of the Holy Spirit?  It may be a humbling question, but one we should consider each and every day.
 
If you cling to God, and are "following hard" after Him there will be some evidence.  In the Psalm below see how David's life is described, he seeks, longs for and thirsts for communion with God.  His meditations and praises influence his life bringing satifaction.  A far cry from the Rolling Stone's "I can't get no satisfaction".  The evidence will be the fruit of the Spirit described in Galatians 5.
 
Walking in the Spirit
 
Gal. 5:16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.   ...........
 
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. NKJV
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Ps 63:1-64:1
 
Joy in the Fellowship of God
A Psalm of David when he was in the wilderness of Judah.
63 O God, You are my God;Early will I seek You;My soul thirsts for You;My flesh longs for YouIn a dry and thirsty landWhere there is no water. 2 So I have looked for You in the sanctuary,To see Your power and Your glory.
3 Because Your lovingkindness is better than life,My lips shall praise You. 4 Thus I will bless You while I live;I will lift up my hands in Your name. 5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness,And my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips.
6 When I remember You on my bed,I meditate on You in the night watches. 7 Because You have been my help,Therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice. 8 My soul follows close behind You;Your right hand upholds me.
9 But those who seek my life, to destroy it,Shall go into the lower parts of the earth.
10 They shall fall by the sword;They shall be a portion for jackals.
11 But the king shall rejoice in God;Everyone who swears by Him shall glory;But the mouth of those who speak lies shall be stopped.
NKJV

No comments: