Sunday, March 21, 2010

Verse of the Day - weekend 3/21

Through the Bible - Joshua 5-8, Luke 2:22-3:20
 
Good morning,
In most parts of the country this winter has been a long one.  Many wondered, when will spring come?  One thing for sure, long winters make you appreciate the arrival of spring.
 
In our lives we will may face illnesses and other circumstances and the accompanying bouts of depression for a season in our lives.  If you've been there does the following prayer resonate with you?
 
"Lord, end my winter, let my spring begin.  I cannot with all of my longings raise my soul out of it's death and dullness.  But all things are possible with thee.  - Charles Spurgeon.
 
For today's verse we'll go to Psalm 69, a psalm of David, someone else that knew about seasons of despair.
 
Ps 69:13 But as for me, my prayer is to You,
O Lord, in the acceptable time;
O God, in the multitude of Your mercy,
Hear me in the truth of Your salvation.
14 Deliver me out of the mire,
And let me not sink;  
NKJV

Nine years ago today I was going through one of those seasons.  The storm surrounding Jeff's  accident had subsided but 17 months later the clouds were still there.  I wrote the following prayer in my journal.
"Jeff had a rough night.  Pray for peace, calming, for his "tone" to subside, for wisdom in decisions on his treatment and the finances to pay for them.
 
I can now look back and see how each of the points of that prayer have been answered and continue to be answered.  The finances were provided.  Those of you who know Jeff, know of the peace, joy, love and hope that he exudes and brings to us.
 
If you are in one of those seasons my encouragement, my prayer for you would be "never let go", have a heart that holds on.   Read some of the words from the Matt Redman song "Never Let Go".
 
Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me

And I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
A glorious light beyond all compare
And there will be an end to these troubles
But until that day comes
We'll live to know You here on the earth

Ps 69:15 Don't let the floods overwhelm me,
or the deep waters swallow me,
or the pit of death devour me.
 
16 Answer my prayers, O Lord,
for your unfailing love is wonderful.
Take care of me,
for your mercy is so plentiful.  NLT
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Ps 69:13-19
 
13 But I keep praying to you, Lord,
hoping this time you will show me favor.
In your unfailing love, O God,
answer my prayer with your sure salvation.
14 Rescue me from the mud;
don't let me sink any deeper!

Save me from those who hate me,
and pull me from these deep waters.
15 Don't let the floods overwhelm me,
or the deep waters swallow me,
or the pit of death devour me.
 
16 Answer my prayers, O Lord,
for your unfailing love is wonderful.
Take care of me,
for your mercy is so plentiful.
17 Don't hide from your servant;
answer me quickly, for I am in deep trouble!
18 Come and redeem me;
free me from my enemies.  NLT

No comments: