Thursday, September 23, 2010

Verse of the Day 9/23

Through the Bible - Isaiah 2-3, Galatians 4
 
Good morning,
Yesterday, I ended with Isaiah 30:15 - This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says: "Only in returning to me and resting in me will you be saved. In quietness and confidence is your strength.
But you would have none of it.  NLT
 
For today's verse we'll go to this morning's New Testament reading in Galatians 4 where Paul tells us that Jesus came :

 To purchase the freedom of (to ransom, to redeem, to atone for) those who were subject to the Law, that we might be adopted and have sonship conferred upon us [and be recognized as God's sons].   6And because you [really] are [His] sons, God has sent the [Holy] Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, Abba (Father)! Father!  - Galatians 4:5-6 (Amplified Bible)

Jesus calls us that we may be adopted as sons, to be recognized as God's children.  This means that we can come to Him, if we have strayed, we can return to Him.  If we are burned out from trying to reach him in our own power he calls to us and offers rest, comfort, and confidence.

In his final sermon, Martin Luther wanted to convey this timely message for all ages as he wrote,  "Christ says, 'Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden,' and it is as though he were saying: Just stick to me, hold on to my Word and let everything else go. . . . For when you suffer for my sake, it is my yoke and my burden which I lay upon you in grace, that you may know that this your suffering is well pleasing to God and to me and that I myself am helping you to carry it. . . . [May we] cling only to Christ's Word and come to him, as he so lovingly invites us to do, and say: You alone are my beloved Lord and Master, I am your disciple."  
 
May we come to Him and cling to His Word, surrender our lives to Him.  May we not be of those who "would have none of it".
 
All to Jesus I surrender;
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
 
I surrender all,
I surrender all;
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Gal 4:1-7
 
4 What I am saying is that as long as the heir is a child, he is no different from a slave, although he owns the whole estate. 2 He is subject to guardians and trustees until the time set by his father. 3 So also, when we were children, we were in slavery under the basic principles of the world. 4 But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, 5 to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons. 6 Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba,  Father." 7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.
NIV

No comments: