Thursday, September 30, 2010

Verse of the Day 9/30

Through the Bible - Isaiah 21-23, Ephesians 5
 
Good morning,
Nowadays its probably easier than ever to communicate with one another.  E-mail, text messages, voice-mails and social media make communication with friends and acquaintances around the world just a click of the mouse away.  Hit the send button and your message may be delivered in seconds.
 
There is still something special, personal and meaningful in the hand written letter or card, sometimes delivered in person.
 
Psalm 25 referenced yesterday,  is special, dear to me, in great part due to a note that was given to me during my darkest hours, by a friend who took the time to write the note and hand deliver it to me in the ICU waiting room in a hospital.  The note outlined several of the verses speaking encouragement to my heart when I needed it most.
I still have that note tucked in my study Bible.  The note and the song always help me to remember and be thankful for that friend.
For today's verse we'll go to Philippians 1, to a greeting in Paul's letter to the Philippian church.

Philippians 1:3 (New International Version)  3I thank my God every time I remember you.
 

Have you received such a card or letter that helped and encouraged you while you were in your "dark night of the soul"?  Do you still have it?

 

Much of the New Testament is made up of letters from Paul to the various churches in the first century.  They were letters of encouragement and hope.  We have them today because they were held on to, copied and spread around.  Their message still resounds in us today.

 

If you are prompted to drop someone a note today, do it.  And if it is a letter of encouragement, consider hand writing it and sending it snail mail or deliver it personally.

 

I send my thanks to Bob from EEFC.  I thank my God every time I remember you.

Blessings,
Mike

mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Thankfulness and Prayer
Philippians 1:3-11   
3 I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, 4 always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy, 5 for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now, 6 being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ; 7 just as it is right for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart, inasmuch as both in my chains and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers with me of grace. 8 For God is my witness, how greatly I long for you all with the affection of Jesus Christ.
9 And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment, 10 that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ, 11 being filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.

No comments: