Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Verse of the Day 4/19

Through the Bible - Daniel 3-4, Revelation 6
 
Good morning,
I had another verse in mind for today, but my reading in Psalms caused me to change course.  For today's verse we'll go to Psalm 3 where God is referred to as my shield and the lifter of my head.
 
Psalm 3:3-4 (Amplified Bible) 3But You, O Lord, are a shield for me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.  4With my voice I cry to the Lord, and He hears and answers me out of His holy hill. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!
 
The image of "the lifter of my head" struck me.  Our son Jeff, in his long recovery from his TBI was weak in many ways.  For the longest time he could not hold his head up straight.  As time went on and he gained strength his head would still droop when he would get tired or fatigued.  Our hearts would go out to him, we'd often lift his head in order to hug it, to hold him, to look at his beautiful face, and let him know that we loved him.  It is the picture that I have, the prayer that I have for several friends who are facing the battles of and for their lives.  That the Lord would be the lifter of their head today, to show His love, His favor, and answer their cry with a song of deliverance.
 
As God lifts our head, He turns our head to look at Him to seek His face, and receive the grace that we need.
 
James Smith wrote (in 1856) "God requires you to look upon Himself as your Father, and to walk before Him as such--in faith, love, and holy obedience. He has provided grace to enable you to perform all that He requires--and He bids you to ask and receive.
His doctrines are to enlighten you,
His promises are to comfort you,
His precepts are to direct you, and
His providence is to supply you. "

If you are weary and troubled, as He lifts your head, "turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.
Blessings,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Psalm 3 (English Standard Version)

Psalm 3

Save Me, O My God
A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.
 1O LORD, how many are my foes!
   Many are rising against me;
2many are saying of my soul,
    there is no salvation for him in God.
                         Selah

 3But you, O LORD, are a shield about me,
   my glory, and the lifter of my head.
4I cried aloud to the LORD,
   and he answered me from his holy hill.
                         Selah

 5I lay down and slept;
   I woke again, for the LORD sustained me.
6I will not be afraid of many thousands of people
   who have set themselves against me all around.

 7 Arise, O LORD!
   Save me, O my God!
For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;
   you break the teeth of the wicked.

 8 Salvation belongs to the LORD;
   your blessing be on your people!
                         Selah

No comments: