Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Verse of the Day 4/27

Through the Bible - Numbers 1-2, Revelation 14
 
Good morning,
Those who don't follow Christ, who don't believe in the Bible may ask "how can a book written over 2000 years ago be relevant to me , to modern man"?  To answer that question one has to have read and experienced the Bible and to know the God of the Bible who inspired the Bible.  It is His autobiography.
 
One of the great things, great themes of the Bible is the consistency of the character of those "who follow hard after God".  Today, we'll turn to Job chapter 23, the middle of this great book where Job is in the midst of his trials.  He is still seeking God and won't be swayed or dismayed.  His God knows all and sees all and he has confidence in Him, that his God will see Him through.
 
Job 23:10 But he  knows  the way that I  take; when he has  tried me, I shall come out as gold.  ESV

Today's verses follow:
 
Job 23:11 My foot  has held fast to his steps;
I have kept his way and have  not turned aside.
12 I have not departed from the commandment of his lips;
I have  treasured the words of his mouth more than my  portion of food. 
ESV

Have we been able to say these words in and through our trials?  Our trials may be the simple irritations that we considered yesterday to the most severe trials where we are concerned for our very life or the lives of others.    In either case, may our heartfelt sentiment be that of Job as we read in these verses.  The Christian finds hope, finds comfort, strength and rest through His Word.
 
As I read and considered these verses the Apostle Paul came to mind, in particular, his words "I press on".  We'll close with what is, hopefully, a familiar passage in Philippians that show the similarity of Paul's and Job's hearts.  Hearts that press on and press through, while seeking and holding on to their God.  Who else comes to your mind?
Phil 3:12-16   Focused on the Goal
 
I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward — to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.
 
So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision — you'll see it yet! Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it.   The Message
 
Are you "well on your way", pressing on, reaching out for Christ?
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Job 23:8-14
 
8 "Behold,  I go forward, but he is not there,
and backward, but I do not perceive him;
9 on the left hand when he is working, I do not behold him;
he turns to the right hand, but I do not see him.
10 But he  knows  the way that I  take;
when he has  tried me, I shall come out as gold.
11 My foot  has held fast to his steps;
I have kept his way and have  not turned aside.
12 I have not departed from the commandment of his lips;
I have  treasured the words of his mouth more than my  portion of food
.
13 But he is unchangeable, and  who can turn him back?
What he  desires, that he does.
14 For he will complete what he  appoints for me,
and many such things are  in his mind.   ESV

No comments: