Thursday, April 7, 2011

Verse of the Day 4/7

Through the Bible - Leviticus 8-10, Hebrews 9
 
Good morning,
I don't often do this, but this morning I would ask you to pray for a friend.  Pastor Al, our former pastor at Grace Community Church in Illinois is in the advanced stages of a battle with cancer.  My heart goes out to him and his family.  I would ask you to pray for healing, comfort, strength and peace through this battle, and that he would feel the presence and grace of His Saviour during this time.
 
For today's verse I'd like to go to the short book of Philemon, to a verse that reminds me of Pastor Al.
 
Philemon 7  For I have derived much joy and comfort from your love, my brother, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you.  RSV

 Pastor Al is good at comforting others, having a listening ear and a servants heart.  He isn't afraid to pitch in and help in any number of circumstances and lend a helping hand.  I remember one day he came  by when I was trying to remove a tree stump from my yard.  He quickly joined me in the work and helped finish the task.
 
Many who read these devotionals know Al and have had our hearts refreshed through Christ working through him.  As we have an opportunity to lift him up,  my hope and prayer is that he would feel the strength, protection, and security of the Father's hand in these days.
 
No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life's first cry to final breath.
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.

 
Blessings,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Philem 4-7
4 I thank my God always when I remember you in my prayers,
5 because I hear of your love and of the faith which you have toward the Lord Jesus and all the saints,
6 and I pray that the sharing of your faith may promote the knowledge of all the good that is ours in Christ.
7 For I have derived much joy and comfort from your love, my brother, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you.
RSV

No comments: