Thursday, April 21, 2011

Verse of the Day 4/21

Through the Bible - Daniel 8-10, Revelation 8
 
Good morning,
This week that leads up to Easter, for Christians, is probably one that best exemplifies Romans 8:28 " And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."  NKJV  It started with palm Sunday and the triumphal entry, it has now moved into the dark hours of Judas' betrayal, followed by the trial and crucifixion of Jesus.  But there is light at the end of that dark tunnel, the resurrection that we celebrate with Easter.
 
I've been reading in Genesis where the story of Joseph perhaps gives the best example of the principles of Romans 8:28 in the Old Testament.  Joseph had been sold into slavery by his brothers.  But God had plans and a purpose in and through this act.  The weight and guilt of it would weigh on the brothers in the years following.  Joseph rises to prominence in Egypt, and through the great famine, God brings his brothers back to him.  Their hearts are put to the test, Benjamin the younger brother is brought back to Egypt and his held captive after the silver cup had been found in his sack. 
 
For today's verses we'll go to Genesis chapter 44 where Judah takes a stand for his brothers and offers to stand in Benjamin's place.
 
Genesis 44:33-34 (New Living Translation)  "So please, my lord, let me stay here as a slave instead of the boy, and let the boy return with his brothers. 34 For how can I return to my father if the boy is not with me? I couldn't' bear to see the anguish this would cause my father!"


What a change has taken place.  The same brothers that years ago had conspired to sell a brother into slavery were now willing to do  whatever it would take to save their brother from such a fate.  J. M. Boice writes, "Oh, glorious transformation!  Glorious to God who alone is able to bring life out of death and righteousness to a sin scarred conscience."  He is still doing the same today in the hearts and lives of His people.
 
Boice quotes Chuck Colson who had spent time in prison for things that he had done, but God delivered him and worked it for good. "It is not what  we do that matters, but what a sovereign God chooses to do through us.  God doesn't want our success; he wants us.  He doesn't demand our achievements; he demands our obedience.  The kingdom of God is a kingdom of paradox, where through the ugly defeat of a cross, a holy God is utterly glorified.  Victory comes through defeat; healing through brokeness; finding through losing self." 
 
These examples show us that God works through brokeness, defeat and loss of self in order to bring victory and ultimate blessing through which others are blessed and God is glorified.
 

Blessings,
Mike

mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Genesis 44:30-34 (New Living Translation)

 30 "And now, my lord, I cannot go back to my father without the boy. Our father's life is bound up in the boy's life. 31 If he sees that the boy is not with us, our father will die. We, your servants, will indeed be responsible for sending that grieving, white-haired man to his grave. 32 My lord, I guaranteed to my father that I would take care of the boy. I told him, 'If I don't bring him back to you, I will bear the blame forever.'

 33 "So please, my lord, let me stay here as a slave instead of the boy, and let the boy return with his brothers. 34 For how can I return to my father if the boy is not with me? I couldn't bear to see the anguish this would cause my father!"

No comments: