Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Verse of the Day 10/11

Psalm 34:17-18 English Standard Version (ESV) 17 When the righteous cry for help, the LORD hears
   and delivers them out of all their troubles. 18The LORD is near to the brokenhearted
   and saves the crushed in spirit.

The other night my wife Jean and I were visiting some friends.  As our two families sat down for dinner our friends youngest son asked if he could ask the blessing on the food.  He prayed "God is great, God is good, let us thank Him.....  I'm sure that you can all finish the prayer.  It is a simple prayer that many of us learned very early in life.  The first words are the basis for our faith.  Our prayers today should still reflect those thoughts and feelings.
 
Those words "God is great, God is good" also brought the words to one of my favorite Steven Curtis Chapman songs to mind "Still Listening".  The song incorporates the cry for help as described in today's verses.  Read a few of the stanzas to the song.
 
The years can take us far away
From the simple child like faith
But I am longing to return
To the place where I first learned
That God is great, and God is good
So, I will speak the words

CHORUS
God, our Father, once again
I bow my head to pray
You are my Father and my friend, and You hear every word I say
A prayer for forgiveness, A desperate cry for help
Or praise flowing from a thankful heart
Like each time before, I come knowing You're still listening

I will never understand
How the words of mortal man
Can reach the ears of One so pure
And touch His heart, but they do I'm sure
For God is great, and God is good
And He is love

Now I lay me down to sleep
And pray the Lord my soul to keep
Though I may not see You there
I believe You'll hear each prayer


What is your attitude towards prayer today?  Does it start with God is great and God is good?  Perhaps you are offering a desperate cry for help or praise, giving thanks for an answer to such a prayer.  Either way, may you realize that God is great and God is good, and that He is love.
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Psalm 34:15-18  English Standard Version (ESV)

 15 The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous
    and his ears toward their cry.
16 The face of the LORD is against those who do evil,
   to cut off the memory of them from the earth.
17 When the righteous cry for help, the LORD hears
   and delivers them out of all their troubles.
18The LORD is near to the brokenhearted
   and saves the crushed in spirit.

No comments: