Friday, October 7, 2011

Verse of the Day 10/7

Matthew 11:28-29 English Standard Version (ESV) 28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
 
Sometimes the road in life leads us through the valley.  If you've ever driven in the mountains and come over a ridge I'm sure you've seen instances where the road descends before, down, down, down as far as the eye can see.  No end in sight.  Our days and seasons of life's trials can seem that way, leading us down into the valley with no end in sight.  Jesus calls us to come to Him for a rest along the road.  He will lead us to that yet unseen bend in the road, where the view changes and hope returns.
 
David Jeremiah starts off his book "A Bend in the Road" with the following poem by the same title:
 
Sometimes we come to life's crossroads
And we view what we think is the end.
But God has a much wider vision
And He knows that it's only a bend -
The road will go on and get smoother
And after we've stopped for a rest,
The path that lies hidden beyond us
Is often the path that is best.
So rest and relax and grow stronger,
Let go and let God share your load
And have faith in a brighter tomorrow,
You've just come to a bend in the road.
 
Twelve years ago our family was on that road.  Jesus called us.  I was at the crossroads and literally as I was driving and approached a bend in the road, Powers Road, near our home.  The disciples were at a crosswords, others had turned and taken a different road. Jesus asked them if they would leave Him too. Jesus question and  Peter's answer came to me:   "Simon Peter replied, "Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. 69 We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."  John 6:68-69  NLT
 
That was the turning point, leading out of my bend in the road.
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Matthew 11:27-30

Amplified Bible (AMP)

27All things have been entrusted and delivered to Me by My Father; and no one fully knows and accurately understands the Son except the Father, and no one fully knows and accurately understands the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son deliberately wills to make Him known.

    28Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.]

    29Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls.

    30For My yoke is wholesome (useful, good--not harsh, hard, sharp, or pressing, but comfortable, gracious, and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be borne.

No comments: